Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Helmet liner spilt pins - original?

Article about: Hi Helmet Collectors - Are these split pins/washers fake or original? Cheers, Fabe

?

THX everyone - is there any chance that the pins are original (if not the tan paint), or is that something that will never be decided for 100% certainty?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet liner spilt pins - original?
    P
    Many

Quote by Fabe View Post
    THX everyone - is there any chance that the pins are original (if not the tan paint), or is that something that will never be decided for 100% certainty?
    From photos alone it will be impossible but unbent pins with that paint , I won’t bet on it.

Let's put it this way, if you had a tan shell needing a liner installed, once put in place these pins would probably appear to be original. That said, as they are (painted, rusted and unbent), they stick out as clear post war made pieces. Dangerously accurate once installed using a wooden splice so not to "mark/remove "rust and wear. Leon.

Is there a liner involved here ? You post a shell that shows no liner. IMO....get a worn sweaty liner & install these pins & I think it would make you happy. Once they are installed & folded over....who can dispute originality ? Think you are being hard on yourself. I think the pins a decent match to the helmet whether original or not
    D.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    From photos alone it will be impossible but unbent pins with that paint , I won’t bet on it.
    I agree 100%

PG-

?

This Lufty Q62 winter camo helmet does have a liner (still installed), it's an early alu liner with leather still in good shape. Unfortunately, the pins were in a bad shape, 2 of them were broken - so I have deiced to replace them. The ones I have shown in this post was a possibility, but ultimately I have decided against it for the reasons we have talked about in this thread (possible repro, etc.) and because it has an early alu liner, would need brass pins.
    The helmet was found in the swampy area in the former Leningrad, hence the liner and paint still is good shape - it's more like a semi-relic. (The decal is a "shadow decal", probably came off in the wet environment. Once I install the pins, I'll make detailed photos.

Re pins: I came across this set - 1940 dated brass pins with some white camo still present - also comes with the liner ring (it's a 1940 dated alu), these were removed from a helmet and on sale separately (a practice I don't approve at all, but unfortunately it's a common practice with diggers - the parts sell for more when they are not installed).
    Any thoughts about this set?
    Helmet liner spilt pins - original?Helmet liner spilt pins - original?Helmet liner spilt pins - original?Helmet liner spilt pins - original?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Is there a liner involved here ? You post a shell that shows no liner. IMO....get a worn sweaty liner & install these pins & I think it would make you happy. Once they are installed & folded over....who can dispute originality ? Think you are being hard on yourself. I think the pins a decent match to the helmet whether original or not
    D.

Might be some good pins, though I know that this maker also gets faked a lot with those brass pins, I think a set I bought some time ago are actually repros, but I don't really care on a restored helmet.
    As for your set, I do like the overall appearance of them. They seem to have a lot of aluminium oxide on them from being in contact with the liner band all that time and the outside of the pins looks like what I would expect form a relic, though I have never found one. But I have found enough corroded brass garbage in my time to see what patina should be on them.
    Too bad it was ripped out of a probably quite nice relic lid..
    Anyway, that's just my thoughts, would be interested to see what others think.
    Luis

?

Thanks, I have higher hopes for this set.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2