Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet lot number research

Article about: I've been doing some research on the helmet I just acquired this past week to try and determine the branch that wore the helmet. It is a Q66 M40 with the lot number DN515. I have not had any

Default Helmet lot number research

I've been doing some research on the helmet I just acquired this past week to try and determine the branch that wore the helmet. It is a Q66 M40 with the lot number DN515. I have not had any luck on researching the lot # so far, so I decided to post here to see if anyone could help shed some light on this helmet. I have looked everywhere for a lot # database but have had no luck, if anyone could look up this lot # for me or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, warbuff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet lot number research   Helmet lot number research  

Helmet lot number research  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet lot number research
    P
    Many

I can't tell if that is original paint or not, but this would be a typical late war Quist M40 that was manufactured without decals. It would have been issued to practically any branch in my opinion, but many collectors would say they were used only by the Heer and SS.

FYI, Quist continued to manufacture M40s pretty much until the end of the war. a Q M42 is super rare. So these were manufactured after the 1943 order that ordered the end of decal application. Therefore, most of these are 1944 vintage.

Thanks for the info, that was my thinking also. As stated in my other thread on this helmet, the paint is the original feldgrau, but the lighting makes it look bright green for some reason.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    I can't tell if that is original paint or not, but this would be a typical late war Quist M40 that was manufactured without decals. It would have been issued to practically any branch in my opinion, but many collectors would say they were used only by the Heer and SS.

FYI, Quist continued to manufacture M40s pretty much until the end of the war. a Q M42 is super rare. So these were manufactured after the 1943 order that ordered the end of decal application. Therefore, most of these are 1944 vintage.
    Thanks for that information, I was not aware of that! I know that Brian Ice has a book/database of lot numbers that you may want to get a hold of...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Thanks for that information, I was not aware of that! I know that Brian Ice has a book/database of lot numbers that you may want to get a hold of...
    cheers, Glenn
    You can check the GHW2 lotnrs list for free. The books are merely dust collectors anyway.