Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet models

Article about: Hello forum. Can someone help me on how to distinguish the different German helmet models from one another. Maybe direct me to a thread where this subject is discussed. To my relatively untr

?

Default Helmet models

Hello forum.

Can someone help me on how to distinguish the different German helmet models from one another. Maybe direct me to a thread where this subject is discussed. To my relatively untrained eye, the M35, M40, M42 pretty much look the same. I have a few helmets and other items up for sale and i would like to get the description right.

Thanks a lot.

Best regards

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet models
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Helmet models

Is it only the paint job and maybe the liner that makes the difference? On German-Helmets they write "Each modification resulted in a slightly newer variation although each held the same basic design. ". I am a little stuck on this question.

To sum it up very quickly, the M35 model had a rolled edge and separate air vents. The M40 had the rolled edge and the air vents pressed into the helmet. The M42 had a raw edge and pressed air vents. There are also differences in the liner rings but the shell differences are the main parts to look out for

?

Thanks a lot VolksJager. Another Q. What do you mean about separate air vents? Sorry for asking a maybe logical question here.

The air vents on the M35 only are an individual part. These are then inserted into the helmet shell. The M40 did (and later M42 of course) did away with this in order to make production cheaper and simpler.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thank you Ade, again. I really have a hard time seeing the difference on these air vents.

So this helmet is a Mwhat??

Helmet models

That is an M40.

The vents on these are much bigger looking than those on an M35.

By the way, different makers had slightly different looking vents on the M40. "Q" made helmets have large fatter looking vents.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Super. Thanks again. I think i begin to get the idea now.

?

You'll spot the M42 by the unfinished edge. By that time, i.e. 1942, the concern was to produce helmets as quickly and cost effectively as possible. Hence, the lack of a "rolled" edge as is found on the earlier models.

Regards,

Carl