Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet mystery

Article about: This is a m40 sd heer that was supposedly found in a barn in Norway with remnants of a field repaint, but the mystery is it has two holes drilled in the front brim, they look period made too

Default Helmet mystery

This is a m40 sd heer that was supposedly found in a barn in Norway with remnants of a field repaint, but the mystery is it has two holes drilled in the front brim, they look period made too me because one has rusted closed, does anyone have any idea what they were for? Any comment or information will be helpful. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet mystery   Helmet mystery  

Helmet mystery   Helmet mystery  

Helmet mystery  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet mystery
    P
    Many

Default Re: Helmet mystery

Nice looking lid mate.

I've never heard of soldiers putting holes in their helmet. Are you sure it's two holes? It could be that one is a failed attempt at a hole, so they had another go next to it.

I've seen loads of photos of ww2 helmets nailed to barn girders. The farmers either put them up as some sort of trophy, or more likely just to store chicken feed, or such like in.

Thanks for your comments, I never thought it might have been done by the farmer, good point, thanks for your time.

this helmet looks remarkably like a sd km m40 that i have

Could you post a photo of it? I'd like to see it. Thanks!

I would have said it had been as a trench scoop.They put handles on the front of them and were widely used by the Russians to clean out the mud.I would usually expect them to remove the liner but maybe they never got around to it and it was left unfinished

Tom

Many thanks for your opinion, I'm learning alot.