Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Helmets of War

Article about: What is the deal with those red cross decals he has for sale. I thought all medic helmets were field done. I have never heard of them and the two helmets he has pictures of are bad. chris

What is the deal with those red cross decals he has for sale.
    I thought all medic helmets were field done.
    I have never heard of them and the two helmets he has pictures of are bad.
    chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmets of War
    P
    Many

If i'm not mistaken this was the dealer who claimed to have a Luftwaffe helmet that once belonged to the Pope!

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...ar-com-224120/

- - Updated - -

Here is the thread

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    c
    However, this gem of his is not original, from his personal collection. And more lot number fallacies thanks to the book which is taken out of context so many times now it makes me sick. Repeat after me everyone - Lot number has nothing to do with service branch. Period. It doesn't matter what is in a self published book. Liner looks suspect and at the very least not original to the helmet. Fake EF (not Pocher as he says) SS runic decal. Party decal appears to be an ET knock off. Repainted postwar as well I believe. Id love a closer look at the strap.
    And I suppose that collectors will continue taking things out of context (human nature?). It doesn't matter how many safety features they cram into new cars, they are still not idiot proof.

This note is found in every lot number book:

This would mean that helmet shells would have been completed with the paint and decals of the various German armed forces without regard to their lot numbers. This would also mean that there would have been no direct manufacturing relationship between a helmet’s lot number and it’s factory decal/paint configuration, and that original factory documentation would not have shown any such relationship.

There is, however, thought to have been an incidental manufacturing relationship between a helmet’s lot number (or smelting order) and it’s paint/decal configuration. As the batches/smeltings of steel were produced over time with each steel batch being given a unique lot number that increased sequentially from low to high over time, an incidental manufacturing relationship is thought to exist between lot numbers and decal/paint configurations, component dates; and concerning early M35 ET helmets, the changeover from the early gothic to the later block scripting of the ET factory mark.

Every helmet must always stand on its own as per originality.

Quote by radidas View Post
    If i'm not mistaken this was the dealer who claimed to have a Luftwaffe helmet that once belonged to the Pope!
    Are you serious?
    That is really bad.
    I remember this guy now,we talk about him before.
    chris

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    \Give it to him with ALL BARRELS Doug , he deserves it!!
    He had the courtesy to immediately remove my name and or the entire listing immediately, as apparently it sold. I dont know this guy from a hole in the wall and couldnt pick him out at a bus stop. But he believes his fake ET with lot number designation making it an SS is real, or so he replies.

So, with this all in mind, I will never be helping this arsehole out again, and if your buying a helmet from a guy who has no clue what it is he is selling your taking a huge risk in my mind.

In fact, he just became a target as far as I am concerned, another piece of crap dealer who ***** on the teet of the hobby in order to enrich himself and give nothing back, a faux expert who uses real collector's knowledge to prop himself up, exactly the kind of twat I just get a real good hate on for, for those that follow my posts.

This is why knowledgable collectors stop helping others as they get taken advantage of and their knowledge is used and abused to line pockets. This is why people leave the hobby.

----

Brian, since your book has been published the misnomer that lot number can tell the service branch of the helmet has spiked 10 fold. Dealers are misusing it. Information, theories and thoughts are taken out of context all the time. It is not your fault obviously, but it is typical of how fast food knowledge is sought and not applied correctly or in context.

----

Andy yes that firewood background I recognized. It's too bad. The next shit for brains dealer I help I will ask for him to make a $500 donation to Plan Canada's clean water project for third world countries (a pet project of mine I support) BEFORE they get a word out of me.

----

To the OP, there is a preciously small list of TR dealers whose sites I check and I don't bother with my time anywhere else. Choose wisely.
    Networking with fellow collectors who have an eye for the "good stuff" is the best bet.

Sadly, the helmet in question looks to be, indeed, sold....and sold at a large price to a collector in Western Australia who is "thrilled at getting his 1st SS helmet for his collection". I am sure that the unfortunate collector purchased it, in part, due to the spurious impressive "endorsement". It's "dealers" like this that foist fake crap onto the World's collecting market and are making huge moneys by placing Crap into collections to be treasured and admired by collectors and generations to come for many years ahead. This piece now "has Provenance" to confound others to no end down the road.

(And, yes-this is the dealer who advertised the Pope's helmet...and it has Also sold...)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Glad this guy does not do authenfication for people and charge 20 to 40$ for it and have Doug do the work .
    Does anyone has a link to this pope helmet?
    Is he the same guy that saided that size 60 was for HJ only?

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Glad this guy does not do authenfication for people and charge 20 to 40$ for it and have Doug do the work .
    Does anyone has a link to this pope helmet?
    Is he the same guy that saided that size 60 was for HJ only?
    Here it is:
    Pope Josef Ratzinger’s “Immaculate” M40 Q60 Hitler Jugend SD Luftwaffe Helmet | HELMETS OF WAR

Thank you Chris.
    He must be a kid , no mature person ,who wants to sell something, would write something so insolting about someone religion (Catholic fanatic).
    chris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast