Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Helmets WW2

Article about: Not much happening my end here! I figure to show my Kraut flower pots

Whilst serving in Germany as part of the British Army on the Rhine, Germans were generally referred to as Boxheads.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmets WW2
    P
    Many

?

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Really?! Thats interesting. I have been told the Englishmen were called "roundheads" back in the Medievals. I have an irish friend here, he always refeer to the english as Roundheads- very funny for me who actually have big empty round head.

So krauts are "Squareheads",
    English are "Roundheads"

Anyone else with some historical facts??!
    I have often heard of Nerds, or Scientific Boffin types referred to as "Eggheads"…lol
    Ooh, nearly forgot, we call politician types "F#@*heads" as well, but that may just be relative to Australia

Brad.

It was the Parliamentary forces in the English Civil War that were called 'Roundheads'-the Royalists were termed 'Cavaliers'.
    Many and varied terms for the Germans in WW1-The Boche (used by the French but also by the British on occasion), The Hun or Huns, Jerry or Jerries, Fritz-some continued in use into WW2.

Its called de-humanising..if you refer to an enemy by derogatory or stereotypical names, its meant to have the effect of them either being demonized, seen as less human or simply just categorizing them as separate from 'us'...still in use today...Evil doers, Death Cult etc etc...could write a book on these terms throughout the History of warfare...pretty sure the French refer to the British as 'Roast Beef' im not sure how derogatory that is, but i sure love Roast Beef https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altern...or_the_British

?

I like your helmets a lot, especially the ones with decals!

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Really?! Thats interesting. I have been told the Englishmen were called "roundheads" back in the Medievals. I have an irish friend here, he always refeer to the english as Roundheads- very funny for me who actually have big empty round head.

So krauts are "Squareheads",
    English are "Roundheads"

Anyone else with some historical facts??!
    Not all of us are Roundheads. Some are like me, more akin to Royalists, and it is therefore no surprise that I live only 800 yards away from the Royal Oak at Boscobel House. King Charles II hid amongst it's branches to evade the Parlimentarian's (Roundheads) when they came here searching for him back in 1651 after the Battle of Worcester.

The tree today is actually a descendant of the original, referred to as "The son of Royal Oak" and this was severely damaged by storms back in 2000. Here's a photo of it as it is now, looking a bit worse for wear but still clinging on. The field and wood behind it belong to an acquaintance of mine, Francis Yates who's ancestor, also Francis Yates, was the only person executed for his part in aiding the King's escape. I have known the place both man and boy all my life and have sat beneath it and worked cutting the crops around it on countless summer days and stood on a shooting peg beneath it's branches on cold winter mornings. How much longer it's got is debateable, large cracks found in it recently have caused a wider wooden fence to be put up around it for "elf an' safety reasons" making it all look a bit forlorn which is a shame.

Charles II eventually died in 1685, a lingering death by kidney failure, his last words were not "Let not poor Nelly starve" (his long term mistress) as is often quoted, but were actually "You must pardon me, gentlemen, for being a most unconscionable time a-dying".

Helmets WW2Helmets WW2

God save the King, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

However if you ask an Englishman these days if he is a Roundhead or Cavalier it has totally different connotations....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2