Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help needed

Article about: Hi all, New to the forum so, "Hi" Had this helmet a long time and always doubted its authenticity. I am looking for help as to how and why it is a fake. Hope you can help and excus

Default Help needed

Hi all,
    New to the forum so, "Hi"

Had this helmet a long time and always doubted its authenticity. I am looking for help as to how and why it is a fake. Hope you can help and excuse my ignorance! The helmet is rusty, including one of the wires,although the other is not which adds to my doubts about it. There is a weird bubbling on the decals. Has an old smell and not a painted one. It is a little dusty...but that's my fault!

Any help/advice gratefully received!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed   Help needed  

Help needed   Help needed  

Help needed  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help needed
    P
    Many

Heer decal looks bad, so.....

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think your helmet is a genuine M42, but it would not have had two decals like it does - the national shield (black/white/red) had been discontinued by then. It may not have had the adler either depending on when it was made.
    Can you find any markings on the inside of the shell? A lot number and manufacturer stamp?
    The Adler feathers also do not look pointed enough to me.
    Probably, based on the above the wire has also been added.

Regards,
    Nick

Welcome to the forum straightened your pictures out. The helmet guys will be along soon to give you an educated opinion. Enjoy your time here you re in good hands. Best regards.

Brian

Help neededHelp neededHelp neededHelp neededHelp needed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed   Help needed  

Help needed  

Thanks! Not quite sure how to rotate them? I didn't pay much for it, so not concerned about it not being genuine but am keen to learn why it isn't. Also, what would you suggest doing to it? Is it worth trying to strip it back, or is that just a ridiculous comment?

It looks to be a post war fabrication. As Nick stated...should only have the eagle decal on it...not the Nat. shield. The eagle looks like a repro decal & the wire is not convincing as a wartime application. The shell is most likely original, but without more discernible pics of maker marks & size fonts, cannot say 100%.

Nothing is ridiculous. I would leave as is. As long as you did not pay the $5K-6K this would be worth if period done...no harm.

Quote by jsnewc909 View Post
    Thanks! Not quite sure how to rotate them? I didn't pay much for it, so not concerned about it not being genuine but am keen to learn why it isn't. Also, what would you suggest doing to it? Is it worth trying to strip it back, or is that just a ridiculous comment?
    No don't try to strip it back. I'd leave it as is. When I was just starting out I had a couple of fakes in my collection. It was what I could afford at the time. So as long as you like it I'd keep it as is.

As far as the Double Decal goes, as stated before, regulation had the shield phased out by that point. So the fact that it is a DD Heer is impossible. You can however find DD M42 helmets but they will be more then likely Polizie or Combat Police Helmets.

This forum is a good forum to start out in as it has a friendly crowd of very knowledgeable members that are not harsh toward people new to the hobby. Almost everyone has bought a fake at one time or another so don't be discouraged by it. Live and Learn!

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome, sadly as already stated, this is most likely an original shell, but the cammo, decals and wire are all post war applied. The liner band is also very twisted in places so I guess that has been out of this helmet at some time or is a complete replacement. Leon.

not even a re-enactor would use that helmet I'm afraid.

Bad paint , bad wire , 2 fake decals , bad liner.

One cannot know everything about everything,and we all can make mistakes it is inevitable as we learn..However this is the best place to get advice and direction and the people here are always willing to help.Welcome and glad to have you here! Regards,G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast