Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???

Article about: I recently aquired several helmets from a vetren friend of mine, one is very unusual M-35 and it appears to have origional paint and decals on it. what makes it really unusual is the size, H

phillyriverrat57
    ?

Default hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???

I recently aquired several helmets from a vetren friend of mine, one is very unusual M-35 and it appears to have origional paint and decals on it. what makes it really unusual is the size, Helmet is a ET 60, run number 3423. liner would have been about a size 52 or 54. the inside is painted apple green and only one coat, the outside was painted apple green with a military gray brush painted over it, the decals are old, they appear to be of the origional varnish type as the national decal has a part that is lifted, and the edges of the decal appear thick as if it had a coat of varnish on the back and front. in the decal area where they are chipped, you can see the apple green paint, and on the edges of both decals you can see where they were trimed out with the gray paint, i have had several collectors in my area look at the helmet and they think it was a teens helmet or possibly a hitler youth helmet due to the very small size. i would love some opinions from others out there concerning it...Thanks, Captain Harry

2. # ADS

Default Re: hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???

Can we get some pictures??

phillyriverrat57
    ?

Here are the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???  hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???  hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???  hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???  hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???  hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???  hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???  hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???  hitler youth or teen soldier helmet???  hitler youth or teen soldier helmet??? 

Hi Capt Harry, and welcome to the forum! The photos are now in your post.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi and like Ade said, welcome

The helmet looks like a good M35 shell, But to be honest the decals ain't doing it for me I wouldn't worry about the size, I've had a few of the smaller sized helmets, they do exist, usually in good/excellent condition. They were (The Germans) a tad smaller than today, have you ever tried on a period tunic? My boy can get into some, and he's 14!

Could you post some close ups of the decals, in daylight?

Hi Capt Harry, I can only agree re the decals. Sorry.

I can also relate that people's build in the 1930's and 40's were generally much smaller than today. Growing up during the Depression etc. I have items that my friend's 12 year old son can fit into like it was made to measure.

Cheers, Ade.

?

HI, i also agree about the decals, a bit strange, but theres something else worrying me, the paintwork. It looks to me in the photos, that there is a fair deal of damage under the paint , rust maybe, or flaking original paint, compared with the internal view there is very little rust damage,but normal wear and tear, this looks like a repaint and done possibly post war, its the sort of appearance that you get when you havent prepared the surface properly prior to painting ,which doesnt mean much in itself but that and the lack of any internal damage and the appearance of no wear around the rim is ringing alarm bells, or is it just fuzzy photos?

Tiny pics but the decals and paint don't seem correct.

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Hi and like Ade said, welcome

The helmet looks like a good M35 shell, But to be honest the decals ain't doing it for me I wouldn't worry about the size, I've had a few of the smaller sized helmets, they do exist, usually in good/excellent condition. They were (The Germans) a tad smaller than today, have you ever tried on a period tunic? My boy can get into some, and he's 14!

Could you post some close ups of the decals, in daylight?
    But remember, Otto Skorzeny was 6'4" 220 pounds. Thats a beast of a man even by today's standards. If you take a look at the varying sizes here in the U.S., you'll catch guys that are 5'9", 5'11", 6'0", and 6'2" riding the same elevator. So I am not too sure there is much difference between now and the 1940's as far as the general size of men. I know of my three uncles in the Wehrmacht, two were 6'0", one was 5'11". Of course my Grandfather (see my profile pic) was 16, not yet a full grown man.

I agree with the statement that most people were smaller in the 30's and 40's. Sure - there were larger men (they make size 68 and even 70 helmets) but these were the exception to the rule. I think it's safe to say that most were about 5'6 on average and very small in frame.

Rob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast