Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How common was it for the Germans to Camouflage their helmets on the Eastern Front.

Article about: How common was it for the German soldiers to paint their helmets camo on the Eastern Front? And if they did , was it normally a certain pattern? Also, in the book Forgotten Soldier there is

Default How common was it for the Germans to Camouflage their helmets on the Eastern Front.

How common was it for the German soldiers to paint their helmets camo on the Eastern Front? And if they did , was it normally a certain pattern?
    Also, in the book Forgotten Soldier there is a part that reads "We noticed with relief that he was wearing a white helmet stenciled with tiger stripes - which meant he belonged to the Gross Deutschland" I've seen a few pictures of Germans having just the tops of their helmets painted white even though they weren't in an arctic environment. Was this something the Grossdeutschland Division would do alot?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How common was it for the Germans to Camouflage their helmets on the Eastern Front.
    P
    Many

That book is thought by many to be fiction so take it with a pinch of salt. I've not come across info on the GD div having that as a trademark camo. It was not uncommon for a helmet to be painted in Russia, though the pattern could vary.

?

Every pattern of camo you can think of was used on the Eastern Front , as Andy says i wouldn't take what is written in the Forgotten Soldier to literally !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Unless you were painting a bullseye on your helmet i would have thought it was up to the individual to camoflage themselves as they thought best (and meeting with superior officer approval of course)

One thing to remember, when camouflaging, you are only really trying to break up the lines. It's just like when you see in the films they stick cam cream all over thier faces, doing that you become more visible, you only need it on the highlights. I've spent many hours trying to blend in

These guys are really overcooking the goose!

How common was it for the Germans to Camouflage their helmets on the Eastern Front.

I don't recall ever seeing a camo German helmet with a tiger stripe pattern!...

Thanks everyone! That's what I thought too but someone told me they never camouflaged their helmets on the Eastern front. So I starting looking at pictures from the eastern front and I could hardly find any that had their own individual camo.

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing a camo German helmet with a tiger stripe pattern!...
    Period photograhs show all manner of Camos including what could be a Tiger type stripe if it were in colour !!

- - ------- - -

Quote by Cody Countryman View Post
    Thanks everyone! That's what I thought too but someone told me they never camouflaged their helmets on the Eastern front. So I starting looking at pictures from the eastern front and I could hardly find any that had their own individual camo.
    Somebody told you wrong i'm afraid !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

Interesting thread for photos of lids !

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/steel...-photos-22536/

1st July 1916