Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much would you pay for this helmet?

Article about: Hello, all, again! I saw this helmet on a nice site, and I was pondering if it was worth it to go through the purchase. It's priced at \\$465, although the inner workings of it seems to be all

Default How much would you pay for this helmet?

Hello, all, again!

I saw this helmet on a nice site, and I was pondering if it was worth it to go through the purchase. It's priced at $465, although the inner workings of it seems to be all damaged, without a chinstrap, and with surface rust. I believe $300 is a fair price. What do you think?

I would really like to rework it so that I am able to have a chinstrap, and inner band, would it be possible to refit another one in there, and add a chinstrap?

Thanks!

Warm Regards, thanks for your time.

Justin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture How much would you pay for this helmet?   How much would you pay for this helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How much would you pay for this helmet?
    P
    Many

?

It's possible to refir another liner, but why do it? It takes away from the history of this particular lid....it would just become another shell with a repro liner which no collector would like as it destroys its history....id leave it as is, it looks fine with the liner it has....

MAP
    ?

IMHO $465 is too high. And fitting a better liner will just not "fit" the helmet. Won't match the pitting.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Not trying to buy a repro. Looking for an original liner and chinstrap. This won't destroy the history. I am doing what makes me, the buyer, and collector happy. Not anyone else. Okay, would i be able to add an original chinstrap in, then?

Warm Regards,

Justin.

Quote by justino2263 View Post
    Not trying to buy a repro. Looking for an original liner and chinstrap. This won't destroy the history. I am doing what makes me, the buyer, and collector happy. Not anyone else. Okay, would i be able to add an original chinstrap in, then?

Warm Regards,

Justin.
    Wow....what a selfish comment. I seriously doubt you'll be receiving much more assistance after making such a bold and reckless statement. And yes, in a way you would be destroying the history of this item, regardless if you replaced the liner with a original or reproduction. Adding parts that were never apart of this "set" makes the item a modern creation and will undoubtedly devalue it significantly.....likely around 30 to 50%.
    -----
    One last thing: though a time may belong to a collector for a brief period in time, overall we're only custodians to our collectibles. If destroying a untouched original item for the sake of making it "look better" sounds like a good idea to you than maybe you're in the wrong collecting field, with all due respect.

Quote by justino2263 View Post
    Okay, would i be able to add an original chinstrap in, then?

Warm Regards,

Justin.
    Dealers and collectors do this all of the time, even if they won't admit it. If you can find one in similar condition, go for it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Justin,

My opinions are just that. Opinions. Only you can make a final decision that you will gain peace with. And my comment about the liner assumed an original liner, not a repro.

So....if it was my helmet... I would leave it as is. Nice decal. All original. Yes, it is pretty beat up but many are. The liner wear matches the condition of the helmet and to me is part of the story. That is what I look for and like in a helmet. If you put a nice clean original liner into this helmet it will be obvious from a mile away that it is replaced.

Also if you add a chin strap, it will cost $100+ probably (I haven't priced one lately) and you will have to search for the right type. Put the wrong one on, and it will be spotted as an addition to advanced collectors. If you ever sell, you won't get the money you put into the strap back.

My advice (and just an opinion again ). If you want a helmet with nice liner and chinstrap and cost is an issue, just save up for a bit longer. There are a lot more available in good condition for a few hundred $ more than $465.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Dealers and collectors do this all of the time, even if they won't admit it. If you can find one in similar condition, go for it.
    I think the problem is that the right side bale is missing and the metal retaining loop looks rotted on that side?

Kind of a rough helmet with a lot of pitting but decent decal, looks untampered. Probably best enjoyed the way it is.

Very few helmets left untampered... regardless of many seller's descriptions.

It's your money, you can do as you wish, but I don't think restoration will work with this one, inside of the shell is really in poor condition.

I see a lot of shells our there that would be better candidates for this kind of refurbishing, for whatever reason.

This helmet looks too original to mess with. Is it really the right thing to do to tamper with this helmet, 70 years after the fact?

Is that the respect you show an old combat warrior?

Some things to consider...

Accidentally pressed post comment too soon, see below.

Edit, Agreed with Map..

No, that's where you are wrong. The point of swapping it out wasn't to make it look better, it was only an idea. It might have not sounded like it, and I never told anyone that it was an idea, and that is against me. I'm not trying to hide anything, and I am not trying to disrespect anyone on the forum. I can tell you now, that if I were to bring anyone into the house and they saw a single thing, it's straight to the conclusion that I am a Nazi. This wasn't about making anything look better. Agreed, If I thought it was a good idea to alter it for my personal gain, I should indeed stop all together. But this is not the case. I understand the value, and historical points of all of this.

I truly did not mean any disrespect, and I apologize greatly for the way i had worded it. I'd have a totally different definition of what destroying the history means, but not far from yours. As Rbminis had said, dealers have do this, and I totally agree. I wouldn't have thrown out the original liner, for it is a part of history. That is what collecting is about, I would never through parts I didn't need away either. I never do. I just cleaned a helmet, and have all the tiny scraps of rust that used to be the liner in the same display case as the helmet. Larboard, and everyone else, I truly did not mean to come off so rudely, and had no motive to become hostile to Amtg. I greatly apologize. When I was speaking of doing what makes me happy, I was referring to how we all started out, collecting. We started out collecting what made us happy, or what we had a connection to. After reading my comment over, multiple times, I see where you thought I was attempting to be selfish, and bold. I seriously was not attempting to be disrespectful in any manner whatsoever. Again, my deepest apologies. I have the utmost respect for those who are on the forum, and those who are helping others. I understand that you are all helping me, and after what I said from another pov, I shouldn't get any help. You're right. But, I have an extreme amount of respect for veterans, and everyone in general.

We all have different opinions, and what I said was not only worded in such a way that made me come off as a total D bag, it made me feel sad about myself as well. Once again, everything I say is with my respect. Amtg, I truly am sorry, and words cannot express how bad I feel about how I came off for the first time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast