Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How much would you pay for this helmet?

Article about: Hello, all, again! I saw this helmet on a nice site, and I was pondering if it was worth it to go through the purchase. It's priced at \\$465, although the inner workings of it seems to be all

?

Didn't offend me mate, I just think the lid is perfectly fine as it is.....but at the end of the day, if you buy it, it's yours to do with as you please

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How much would you pay for this helmet?
    P
    Many

I agree with Ralph on the chinstrap. Those you can replace easily, without modifying the helmet in any way. So, it's a pretty "safe" alteration, especially if you keep any original strap or strap pieces it might have. At the end of the day, the straps were always separate pieces, and if you enjoy it with a replacement strap for a while and sell it at some point, just be sure to let the buyer know. IMO, it's kind of an extra bonus accessory, even if not part of the helmets history, because it doesn't have one now, so it's nice to have the replacement over nothing. And, if you were honest about that, it wouldn't hit me as a big deal as a buyer. If it did have an original strap, you can always snap that one back on and nothing is physically changed on the helmet for doing so unless you damage the strap somehow. You have to be careful when assessing it.

The liner, for my own personal feelings, is a different story. Once you start bending the legs of the split pins/rivets that hold it in, you'll never get them back on as they are now. It will be noticeable, and the historical value of the helmet will be greatly harmed because it's not as it was the day the soldier last wore it. It's not too unlike cleaning old coins. The coin definitely looks sharp all shiny and buffed up, but that ugly tarnishing a person removes is the signature of the decades that coin has "lived" through. It's still an old coin, but we removed the evidence of age and vitality from it in favor of making it shine again.

Coin collectors and antique collectors in general prize that ugliness, because it is proof of the items journey. Even keeping the leftovers of an alteration, doesn't restore what is lost in breaking something apart, which forever damages the pedigree and awe inspiring feeling of holding an original and untouched item that has endured a war and then another 70+ years traveling the world and being enjoyed by those like us who appreciate this rich history. Altering the item at this point in its existence, in my opinion, puts a period on that sentence that will remain even after you've let the piece go.

So, while it's your call, I would also encourage you to leave the liner as is.

Thanks! No, I will not be attempting to remove anything from the helmet, It is truly amazing to touch something that actually has been all over the world, and has seen things some people can't imagine.

?

This is good looking lid. I would gladly pay that price for it. Dont collect and "invest", that will give you the evil "I-cant-loose-money" kinda mentality that will make the collecting more stressful.

?

That is a good looking helmet. I'd leave it as it is. I would also share, that as a new collector myself I have bought a few lesser priced helmets to get my feet wet, and at some point I'll do some trading to get a really top shelf piece. But I warn you....it's an addictive hobby! In six months I've bought 4 helmets, and I'm not a rich man! If that is your first lid, it's a good start. It looks HONEST. And believe me, thats what you want.

Hi, a decent "salty" HEER helmet that will display well on your shelf left in the untouched condition that it is( I have seen far worse)! Leon.

I think the topic title is what's wrong with this topic.
    The decision of which historical item to buy has nothing to do with price. Price should be the last factor to think about.
    I have seldom seen anyone get a decent helmet cheap unless you chase them out of the woodwork yourself which is hard work.
    So forget bargains in this hobby and just go for one you really like without having to mess about to improve it.
    I have been collecting for close to 20 years. I have Always bought helmets I loved regardless of price. (of course Always keep in mind what your budget is).

Coin collectors and antique collectors in general prize that ugliness
    It's not "ugliness", it's patina, the natural wear to an item over time that shows it's age.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2