Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How to remove paint from a decal

Article about: Don't attempt anything would be my advice. You may make it worse than it is.

?

Default Re: How to remove paint from a decal

Looking at the tri color a little closer would you gentlemen agree that only the white paint has been overpainted.

Regards Mark K

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to remove paint from a decal
    P
    Many

I have stripped several ex Norge re-issue German helmets for re-enactor friends in the past. I always felt a bit sick afterwards if a decal did emerge. They always got damaged no matter how careful I was.

In hand you will tell better, but so far it is the white areas which look overpainted.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Point taken Adrian I have never stripped a helmet of it's paint and the thought of it makes me very nervous indeed.

Regards Mark K

I stripped a post-war black painted SD Heer M40 once. I pretty much destroyed the decal in the process, due to my amateur approach to it. I have never forgiven myself for it.

?

Mo I am positive I would feel the same way about it myself I just cringe at the thought of it.

Regards Mark K

If I can just butt in here?
    Mark,
    I've successfully removed paint from national sheilds on quite a few helmets. I used this method ONLY this morning to remove paint from painted data-plates on that generator I'm restoring. You will need an old wollen jumper/whatever...and Brasso. Any of the "old empire" countries will recognise the trade-name "Brasso"....but some of out colonial cousins might not. It's a very old-fashioned Brass cleaner....and ever so slightly abrasive. To remove paint from decals you'll need the wool, the brasso....a finger....and a good supply of patience. stretch the wool over your finger-tip...wet thewool with the brasso and start "polishing" the decal in a small circular motion. DO NOT get tempted to speed things up by pressing really hard!
    The plates I did this morning I was VERY worried about as remakes of them can NOT be found, but..........they've come up VERY nicely indeed without damaging the underlaying original paint.

For what it's worth
    Last edited by davies435; 11-09-2011 at 04:38 PM.

?

I do thank you for your imput and advice and I would be most intrested in seeing some of your restoration work on the generator data plates and I am shur we would all like to see the restoration work you have done on helmet tricolor national shields if you would be so kind as to post some photos (Before and after restoration) if possible that would be wonderfull.

Regards Mark K

Davies435 is probably right that this would be the best method to use Mark, I have had success with it myself in the past, but as he says it does require a lot of patience, but it allows control. Brasso is made up of a very fine sand in an alcohol suspension and is as fine a method to use. BTW, it is also excellent for removing scratches from glass/crystal watch faces.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Thank you gentlemen I have used brasso many times for polishing brassbuttons,capbadges,and buckles, the only down side I did find and have observed with extended use is that it starts to< for the lack of a better word >soften the appearence of the item it has been used on I have seen many a WWII and post war cap badge ruined this way .But I beleive that you both may be right and I wll try it on a Canadian Air Warden helmet that I own to see how it works to remove some unwanted paint from the writing thank you for the tip.

Regards Mark K

I haven't seen BRASSO in a long time here in the states, but I remember it, just haven't seen it in my area in awhile, thanks for the tip though.
    marty

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast