Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I am trying to confirm the model of this helmet….help requested.

Article about: I have owned this helmet for approx. 50 years….unfortunately it was in “much better” shape back then than it is now…. my fault…as a thirteen year old I wasn’t thinking about preserving the c

drm2m
    ?

Default I am trying to confirm the model of this helmet….help requested.

I have owned this helmet for approx. 50 years….unfortunately it was in “much better” shape back then than it is now….
    my fault…as a thirteen year old I wasn’t thinking about preserving the collector value of this helmet as I was playing my war games.

My records ….compiled some years ago suggest that
    the helmet is an M42.

Is this correct?

Approx. what year would it have been manufactured…I assume after 1943?

Is there anything else I should know about this helmet?

The markings show E66 which I assume is the size…and the number 3501.

There was some masking or other type of tape stuck on the front and left side of the helmet....done by silly me many years ago.

Some of the shades of the mastic of the tape remains...how do I gently remove it without affecting the original finish?

It can be partially seen in the first photo on the front part of the helmet.

Thanks,

David

2. # ADS

Default Re: I am trying to confirm the model of this helmet….help requested.

Hi David !

You are correct, It is an M42.
    Others on the forum can suggest how to remove the residue without harming the paint.

Regards,

Steve.

drm2m
    ?

Thanks Steve,

I have not thought about this helmet for many years..but I have been redoing my records recently.

I traded this helmet from a school mate while I was still in grade school...he was a Brit and I suspect that his father
    brought the helmet back as a war souvenir.

When I got the helmet the finish was superb as was the liner...over the years poor storage has taken its toll.

Interestingly enough...50 years later....no new WWII German helmet purchases..but "still" a weakness for other WWII German stuff.

David

Nice! when you live in a place that allows it
    Shame I can't share on this one
    I once had a repro non firing MP38/40 (and various other operational centre fire weapons) but can't now! Thanks to a Fool that went and murdered 30 odd people in Tasmania.

Thanks for making me drool! NICE
    Here's the best I can do - Me at the Johannesburg Museum rusting up a 34
    Best regards
    René

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I once had a repro non firing MP38/40 (and various other operational centre fire weapons) but can't now! Thanks to a Fool that went and murdered 30 odd people in Tasmania.

Best regards
    René
    Also - Glad you had the M42 as a kid I had a Aussie Mk2 and if I had a M42 back then it would be far worse off!

drm2m
    ?

reneblacky,

You look like you were enjoying your time with that MG34.

------------------------------

As a kid...I treasured this helmet.....I was horrified at one point to see what had happened to it over the years.
    ---------------------

Laws are continually changing....and they will continue to do so.

I live in Canada...I am licensed to own converted autos to semi auto,....not full autos.

The grand fathering issues are such that some day these guns will have to be deactivated or destroyed...unless the laws change….which I don’t think will happen.

The MP40 and MP44 shown above have been converted to semi auto..
    one day I will have to deal with them. (In Canada)

In the meantime....life is O.K.....until the next chapter.

David

Militaria collecting of WWII German helmets does not come with the same hassles....there is a lot to be said for that!

Such beautiful treasures there David ! !

After 30 odd years of collecting, I still don't own a Luger like your gorgeous
    example - No reason why I haven't bought one yet !

Regards,

Steve.

Quote by reneblacky View Post

Best regards
    René

HA HA, Good photo Rene ! !

Steve.

drm2m
    ?

Steve,

As a Canadian,... if you are licensed to own pistols in the
    prohibited 12-6 category.. I have a collector
    friend that is a serious Luger collector.....and he
    is selling some of his stuff.

I am not really a Luger collector…I have a few rigs…
    I have been very lucky..
    the two S/42 code (1937 & 1938 dated) guns
    shown below both have two matching magazines.

David

drm2m
    ?

I am not really a Militaria collector....I don't think?
    I don't usually post on Militaria forums...it was because of the Russian SSch-36 helmet
    (On the Soviet helmet section of the forum) and the M42 German helmet shown above.
    The help given was great regarding the SSch-36 helmet.

I am not sure what a Militaria collector really is?

I collect arms from different periods...with a lot of stuff associated with these pieces...does that make me a militaria collector?

Some stuff shown below?
    Not helmet related.

I am still not totally sure how this forum functions as far as posting is concerned..I am very new here.

David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I am trying to confirm the model of this helmet….help requested.   I am trying to confirm the model of this helmet….help requested.  

I am trying to confirm the model of this helmet….help requested.   I am trying to confirm the model of this helmet….help requested.  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast