Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...

Article about: I'd like to get some thoughts on this camo helmet found in a recently deceased US veteran's footlocker. I never trust 100% that just because an item is in a footlocker it's legit, so I'd lik

?

I received the helmet today so I thoughts I'd share some better photos, including some nice focused macro shots...

I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...

This photos shows what is possibly a bullet (or flack) strike. The brown (surface rust) colored area is indented...
    I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...

Thanks!
    Dzyner
    Last edited by dzyner; 06-03-2014 at 04:07 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I'd like opinions on this M40 Camo Helmet...
    P
    Many

?

Any thoughts based on the new photos? I suspect that none of the opinions will change since these photos are much clearer and focused, but would like to hear back from some of you nonetheless when you have the time.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

?

I'm really on the fence. It's not a "one looker " by my personal parameters. This is one I would have to have in hand to examine and then see if I feel comfortable with.

?

Im afraid i,m still with Doug on this one, although i actually do like the camo acheme, theres still something bothering me with those liner pins, mainly that i think the pins have/had been removed prior to camo, but there should,nt have been any reason to, one of the pins especially looks to have undisturbed camo paint going under it as there is a straight line which follows through, plus its a different shade of camo, perhaps i,m being overly cautious, but my ideas of camo is a thicker application with defined brush strokes, this one seems to be very thin in paint, i really do hope im wrong and that you have a true camo, but in hand would be my preference as well
    cheers Dave

The rust looks a little red for my liking, bare metal on all my helmets is almost black.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    The rust looks a little red for my liking, bare metal on all my helmets is almost black.
    I have to agree with Glenn on the rust.

?

Wow! Unexpected. We've gone from mostly positive feedback with the original pics to negative responses. Dave, I'm not in agreement with you regarding the paint application. Camo paint was scrubbed and reapplied in some instances, and in very thin layers. I don't think you can judge a good one over a bad one simply based on loose pins and the thickness of paint. I'd really hate to discredit a perfectly legit helmet (if indeed it is, and several here believe it is) due to technicalities that are not necessarily relevant to the piece. You mentioned different camo paint on one of the pins, but I'm not seeing it. Also, I've seen plenty of helmets with loose pins, which is what I think you're seeing here.

I'd really like to hear some more opinions on this from experienced helmet guys before I send it back to the original owner (the daughter of the veteran who brought it home).

?

Careful with the vet daughter story. Dave Shirlin got absolutely hosed by a "vets daughter".

In the end you have to be the judge as your the only one who has it in hand. Forum opinion is rather meaningless if you want this to be good rather than judge it on it's own merit for yourself.

And the reason opinions are all over the place is because better pics have now been posted and like I said --- it's not a "one looker".

Heres my tuppence worth- It looks as though at some point it has had a wire on the helmet when it has had one of the coats of paint applied. But to me the wear and paint build up around areas of the helmet as already said doesnt seem consistent. Just another opinion!

hope it is genuine for you.

Quote by dzyner View Post
    Wow! Unexpected. We've gone from mostly positive feedback with the original pics to negative responses. Dave, I'm not in agreement with you regarding the paint application. Camo paint was scrubbed and reapplied in some instances, and in very thin layers. I don't think you can judge a good one over a bad one simply based on loose pins and the thickness of paint. I'd really hate to discredit a perfectly legit helmet (if indeed it is, and several here believe it is) due to technicalities that are not necessarily relevant to the piece. You mentioned different camo paint on one of the pins, but I'm not seeing it. Also, I've seen plenty of helmets with loose pins, which is what I think you're seeing here.

I'd really like to hear some more opinions on this from experienced helmet guys before I send it back to the original owner (the daughter of the veteran who brought it home).
    This is my first reply on this one, as only seen it now.
    Liner and chinstrap are great but in my opinion, it seems that in some areas the paint has been applyed on red rust.
    For me, it was in semi-relic condition before being camo painted.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast