Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Interesting M42 helmet

Article about: A very recent acquisition, a battle-damaged M42 helmet. Both hits are entry holes, the lower one having taken away a small portion of the liner. There is also an oblong gouge to the top and

MAP
    ?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    From German-Helmets.com!.....

"In 1940 factories began producing the zinc pattern metal rings used for helmet liner assembly. Parts left over from aluminum liner band production were often inserted and used on zinc pattern liner bands. As a result, it is not uncommon to see a zinc pattern liner band with "D" ring mounts intended for aluminum bands, or visa versa. Likewise, aluminum liner bands produced in 1940 commonly used the newer, round pattern "D" rings most often associated with the zinc pattern liner band ring. When liner bands are encountered with these odd variations it is generally a good sign that the liner band is original and dating from the 1940 to 1941 time frame. Common sense holds that factories used whatever parts were available until they were used up entirely. Older parts were mixed with newer parts until depleted."
    Gunny,

I think this will help visualize your point above.....

Aluminum reinforced liner with round pattern "D" rings. Liner band dated 1940 (in an M40 helmet).

Double click to enlarge

Interesting M42 helmet
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting M42 helmet
    P
    Many

Thanks gunny, then this is the first time I have seen a m42 in this configuration, but still too many question marks on this helmet for me.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Gunny,

Aluminum reinforced liner with round pattern "D" rings. Liner band dated 1940 (in an M40 helmet).

Double click to enlarge

Interesting M42 helmet
    ....or like this one.
    M35 DD LW with aluminum reinforced liner with round pattern "D" rings. Liner band dated 1940.

Regards
    Replace
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting M42 helmet   Interesting M42 helmet  

Quote by MAP View Post
    Gunny,

Double click to enlarge

Interesting M42 helmet
    Sorry i should have been clearer, i was referring to the last couple of sentences about the old stocks being used up, as in if liners and d rings were mixed then surely stocks of older liner systems would have been used in later shells until stocks were exhausted!...

MAP
    ?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Sorry i should have been clearer, i was referring to the last couple of sentences about the old stocks being used up!...
    Yes, my point. Maybe I wasn't clear . This reinforced aluminum liner bands should have had the square bales. So while this was one is dated 1940 (ie after the steel bands came out), they were using a mixture of old (reinforced aluminum) and new (round bales) parts....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have seen many configurations of the ones map and replace have posted but can anyone post a m42 with the m35 liner system? (But make it quick as I want to watch a Hitler documentary on more 4 at 9.00!)

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Feel free to examine it at leisure Gunny, you are only down the road from me.

While we are on the subject of what might be fakes... here is a 'battle-damaged' helmets which was posted by one of our more knowledgeable members three years ago. apparently DougB wasn't that impressed though, but several members gave it the thumbs-up... Now those scratch marks would have set alarm bells ringing for me... Its a funny old world at times!

Attachment 1004359
    I still own the "ebay turd" and do so as a reminder to keep my wits about me when looking at helmets. Doug gave me a bollocking but thats ok ... i bought a crafted dog and don't want any of my collecting friends to do the same.
    Call me a nay-sayer Steve but I'm only giving my opinion based on my experience being burnt and learning from it.
    Regards , Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Blackdog View Post
    I have seen many configurations of the ones map and replace have posted but can anyone post a m42 with the m35 liner system? (But make it quick as I want to watch a Hitler documentary on more 4 at 9.00!)
    You might have quite a wait!

With all due respect Dan, I was perfectly aware of the ridicule which would be heaped on the M42 before I even posted it. I know that the liner isn't what you expect to find in an M42, and I know that all the scratching looks odd to say the least. I can't honestly say why the scratching was done - or even when it was done. In hand it isn't even as noticeable. It certainly doesn't look the same as the repetitive scratching you normally find on artificially aged helmets. Every time I handle it my fingers are covered in soot. Pictures are no substitute for actually handling an object.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    You might have quite a wait!
    I thought so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast