Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsmarine decal on a m42 helmet is it real or fake???

Article about: I have had this helmet for many years and I cannot find one way or another if this decal is real or fake as I have not seen this decal in anything I have researched. The helmet looks to be a

?

Default Kriegsmarine decal on a m42 helmet is it real or fake???

I have had this helmet for many years and I cannot find one way or another if this decal is real or fake as I have not seen this decal in anything I have researched. The helmet looks to be a Kriegsmarine helmet as it has blue and some brown mixed in....possibly camo?? I have looked at real decals and fake decals and non look like this. Since this is a M42 helmet, it would likely not have a stacked decal and this does not appear to be stacked. I have seen pictures of stacked decals. My understanding is that the later Kriegsmarine decals are simpler in design as compared to the earlier ones. I am looking for input from the expert community. Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance for your help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine decal on a m42 helmet is it real or fake???   Kriegsmarine decal on a m42 helmet is it real or fake???  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine decal on a m42 helmet is it real or fake???
    P
    Many

No good unfortunately. Jim G.

?

Jim is correct.

Hi, welcome to the forum, I am afraid the gents are correct. This is not a KM decal, neither is it an original decal of any branch service. If you look around the area of the decal, you can see he evidence of it having been "sanded" down to try and age it. The decal itself is not a period piece and is of poor quality. Sorry, Leon.

?

Unfortunately the guys are spot on with their judgements on this one.
    Not the original period decal or paint I'm afraid.
    It is good to see that you have put in the research about it prior to asking for opinions though.
    Well done sir!

Brad.

?

Quote by Lidman View Post
    Unfortunately the guys are spot on with their judgements on this one.
    Not the original period decal or paint I'm afraid.
    It is good to see that you have put in the research about it prior to asking for opinions though.
    Well done sir!

Brad.
    Brad,o

I thought the paint was at least original. Why is the paint not period? I think I have seen other pictures of helmets with these colors and patterns once or twice. Thanks

- - ------- - -

Thank you all for your input. I figured the decal was fake and I wanted to know for sure.

?

Thank you all for your input. I figured the decal was fake and I wanted to know for sure.

?

I know little about German items, however even I can see this is not correct

Just My Thoughts

Dean O
    Canada

Quote by Novars View Post
    Brad,o

I thought the paint was at least original. Why is the paint not period? I think I have seen other pictures of helmets with these colors and patterns once or twice. Thanks

- - ------- - -

Lacks structure , it's too glossy and is not the right color.

?

Quote by Novars View Post
    Brad,o

- - ------- - -

Hi Doug,

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've only just gotten home from work and read this.
    The paint doesn't have any patina to it, as Frank points out it is too shiny and lacks a certain structure.
    That aside, it also lacks any signs of wear to the areas one would expect to see.
    Also the fact that some tool, in order to give the decal a bit of aged/worn appearance has taken to it with some form of sand paper or abrasive.
    I hope this gives some clarification to my initial assessment, and assists you in the learning process in some way.

Brad.