MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Kriegsmarine Helmet ?

Article about: Hello to all Being a former member Of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. I like to collect Marine type items. I'm restoring a Japanese NLF helmet Now I would like to look for a German Marine he

Default Re: Kriegsmarine Helmet ?

In response to the original post, I have found that even under magnification, a Heer decal can appear to have "gold flakes" if it has discolored. The easiest way for me to spot a true Kriegsmarine decal is to look for the "three dimensional appearance", which is most noticable on the trailing edge borders of the swastika, Without magnification it looks like a thin black outline. Under good magnification the swastika has the glimmering, consistant gold flake appearance, and actually does look three dimensional. Three different examples:
    [/ATTACH]Kriegsmarine Helmet ?Kriegsmarine Helmet ?

A discolored Heer decal swastika will not have a three dimensional look to it.
    Kriegsmarine Helmet ?

Consider also that some Kriegsmarine decals that have wear to them can appear to be discolored Heer decals. The swastika under magnification can help avoid a costly mistake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Helmet ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine Helmet ?
    P
    Many

The first step is to identify the decal type and the maker of the helmet , not all factories made KM helmets all the time. Some started only with the M40 , some did only the M35 and one maker didn't even produce KM helmets as far as we know. This already helps to classify a lot of supposedly KM helmets as Heer. Remember that the KM was a much smaller branch than the SS.
    General concensus is that there are only two main KM decal designs (ET style and thin winged). But it's not so easy as that as the ET style has a few subtle variants.
    The true gold content real KM decals have is often difficult to represent on photos. In real life a KM is unmistakenly golden as compared to even the most toned Heer decals.

Here's a photo that shows the ridged KM ET style. Notice the outline around the eagle.

Here is my KM decal and a toner Heer of mine in case it helps gentlemen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Helmet ?   Kriegsmarine Helmet ?  

Kriegsmarine Helmet ?   Kriegsmarine Helmet ?  

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Here is my KM decal and a toner Heer of mine in case it helps gentlemen.
    Yes that's a nice comparison , this Heer adler by its design can never be mistaken as a KM adler though. Quist used the ET style design.

Quote by bdmerc1 View Post
    In response to the original post, I have found that even under magnification, a Heer decal can appear to have "gold flakes" if it has discolored. The easiest way for me to spot a true Kriegsmarine decal is to look for the "three dimensional appearance", which is most noticable on the trailing edge borders of the swastika, Without magnification it looks like a thin black outline. Under good magnification the swastika has the glimmering, consistant gold flake appearance, and actually does look three dimensional. Three different examples:

A discolored Heer decal swastika will not have a three dimensional look to it.

Consider also that some Kriegsmarine decals that have wear to them can appear to be discolored Heer decals. The swastika under magnification can help avoid a costly mistake.
    Great photos and great info. Very helpful. Thanks.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Here's a photo that shows the ridged KM ET style. Notice the outline around the eagle.
    Hey Schwerpunkt, i was told that KM decals have this ridge line. What i want to ask is:
    1. This line is used only by ET maker?
    2. The ridge line is only around the eagle? I mean the lines on the eagle's wings or breast, legs etc shouldn't be ridged?

The true gold content real KM decals have is often difficult to represent on photos. In real life a KM is unmistakenly golden as compared to even the most toned Heer decals.
    Originally Posted by Schwerpunkt

This is a good point since lighting, oil residue, etc. can make a Heer decal appear to be a KM in a photo. Best policy is a "hands on" inspection, and a jeweler's loupe is always helpful!

I'm having a hard time on mine.
    It has 2 decals one on top of the other. It was for sure a KM lid but it had been reissued at some point.
    The thing is that i'm not sure if it was reissued as a Heer or a KM one.

I will start a new thread but here are a few pics of the decal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsmarine Helmet ?   Kriegsmarine Helmet ?  

?

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    WOW John those are excellent photos. I tried to take some shoots through a loop in the past but with no success. If you have a Heer helmet could you take some shots of it's decal for comparison purposes?
    You can buy a Celestron digital magnifier for about $100 and take hi res photos up to 200x magnification of decals. It reveals a lot esp when comparing real decals to fake decals. GHW has several excellent threads pinned on ADM (Advanced Digital Magnification)
    Cheers
    Doug

That's interesting, looks like a KM that was reissued to the Heer.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast