Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late war german chinstrap?

Article about: Would like to know your opinions on this chinstrap. I believe that it may be late war due to the "shiny" finish on the back, and that it is unmarked. The hardware on it also seems

Default Late war german chinstrap?

Would like to know your opinions on this chinstrap. I believe that it may be late war due to the "shiny" finish on the back, and that it is unmarked. The hardware on it also seems to have traces of the light green paint on it. The leather does not smell like leather, nor does it smell like chemicals. So I believe that it may be genuine. But I would like to hear some of your opinions, thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late war german chinstrap?   Late war german chinstrap?  

Late war german chinstrap?   Late war german chinstrap?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late war german chinstrap?
    P
    Many

Looks like a common repro. Any smell, other than musty, is a warning sign.

I don't know straps very well but the sheen would have been a red flag to me.

I believe that some late war chinstraps had a shiny finish. there are a couple examples i have seen with a shiny finish.

By late war nothing was shiny that I am aware of. They had become acutely aware of how important camouflage was. Keep in mind I'm no expert and can't say for sure. It certainly doesn't look even in age when the black shows the cracks but the center seems good and then the brown side seems shiny. It would be one I would walk past and leave based on those things.

original helmet components

If you look at item 202 on this page it shows a late war chinstrap, which actually has a shiny finish

?

This one is posted on the collectors guild.

Quote by visor View Post

This one is posted on the collectors guild.

That looks like a nice unissued strap. However the original does not show wear on the end of the strap at all, nor any of the holes I can see. Yet it has the paint worn off the buckle and the retaining pins. It has also been bent at the retainers in a tighter loop then an installed strap. I could be wrong but it just doesn't look good to me. Here is one that is the same as the example posted from the collectors guild. Note the back is still solid and nice and even while the brown side is cracked. Like I say to me it just doesn't look like natural wear.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late war german chinstrap?