Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!

Article about: I recently found this helmet on ebay of all places. I don't know much about this particular type, but I spent a couple of hours delving into the lightweight archives at GHW and matched it to

Default Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!

I recently found this helmet on ebay of all places. I don't know much about this particular type, but I spent a couple of hours delving into the lightweight archives at GHW and matched it to a handful of M18 style examples. After the research I decided to have a bid. A couple of threads below showing the same type:

http://www.walhalla....-ex-rlb-helmet/

http://www.walhalla....the-fatherland/

It's in really fantastic condition IMO. No markings anywhere on any components, I even peeked under the leather carefully. The liner and strap are both nearly mint, with the strap having been over the visor for a long time from what I can tell. It has somewhat set into it's position. I gently slid it off the visor for a photo and you can see it holds the bent-around shape. On the edge of the liner leather there is a dent where the strap bale has been held forward against the liner for a long time. Also the strap buckle has left marks in the paint under the visor, and the strap bale has done the same thing to the paint at the side. Lastly there is a definite but subtle difference in the outer paint on the visor where the strap has been resting compared to the exposed area. The strap is really cool, my first helmet with a carbine hook.The inner paint is like an M35 Heer shade of green, or the edelstahl Police M34, but the outer is more like a late war factory finish, but the grains in the paint are more varied in size and some are quite large. Maybe sand/sawdust camo? There also looks like there may be a decal under the paint on the right hand side. Any thought on this one gents? I have had a couple of ideas; possibly a late war refinished parade helmet for an officer, or even perhaps repainted for Volkssturm?

Lots of pics to come, I hope you like her as much as I do.

Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!
    P
    Many

So you are the one who got it.
    Great pick up

I love this one. Glad you got it Andy. Something good from eBay for a change. The inside does match M34 edelstahl helmets with paint and liner. I'll have to start checking eBay more often.

Early on I thought this one might have flown under the radar a little bit, but I did get the impression a few people were watching it towards the end Chris It was right at the very top of my bid when it ended, I was lucky. Were you the next highest?

Thanks gents, I'm very happy with it. Quite an oddball but very cool.

I do not remember what my bid was.
    But I remember saying some one got a good deal.
    This helmet comes in combat weight and light weight ,the light weight one is much harder to find.
    Here one from my collection in combat weight.
    chris

Lightweight Aluminium M18 Style Helmet, Textured Paint Finish. Minty!

That's a good looking one, I have yet to get anything with that decal. I'm happy to hear the lightweight version is quite uncommon.

What do you think this might have been intended for originally? The others I have seen have all been Luftschutz or something like that. Don had one at GHW that was previously an RLB in green, but it was overpainted for Luftschutz so I couldn't tell what was really happening with that one. I can't see anything under the paint at the front, it is quite thick though.

The one Don has is a combat weight one.
    All the light weight one that I have seen did not have any decals.
    I am sure some have decals but the one you have is totally right from others I have seen with that camo.
    Not sure what it was used for
    chris.

?

Andy, i,m inclined to think this was an officers lightweight, possibly used for wounded personel on parades????

Have always loved the look of this particular model! Would have made an uber kuhl SS.