Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Lovely camo on ebay uk

Article about: yes Danny you are right but most of it is how we hear it and a lot of the time miss understand what is being said we are all human ,and none a perfect and i say thank god for that cheers ian

Default Re: Lovely camo on ebay uk

Quote by theduke635 View Post
    ok well my feeling on this helmet is this..... It is well know that the luftwaffe mostly the flak and HG div. loved to camo there helmets I have seen many photo of cost flak div. with camo painted helmet not unlike the one pictured here I have also seen a pic (can't remember where) that showed a whole unit with "custom" painted helmets all different . What I am saying is this .. Maybe this helmet is real maybe not.. I just wouldn't jump to saying its a fake just judged that it is on ebay and its color is off or something is different with the liner .. Who knows? Only the guy who painted and wore it during the war. I have seen a lot of strange German Items that where not the "norm" but where genuine! Like a double decal SS helmet with Runes on each side. and my fav. was a helmet cover made in Italian camo but with the rocker clips like on the SS covers.

P.S. never said I was a true expert ..there is lot of stuff I don't know
    I'm sure the guy selling these helmets knows all this too, anyone can do the research if they are that way inclined. I expect he also know's there are thousands of chumps on Ebay who are willing to part with cash for trash. It's not just about having knowledge, its about how you use it, and some use it for the wrong reasons. This guy may very well have a nice collection of genuine lids and know exactly what he's doing!
    If it can be faked. IT WILL BE FAKED!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lovely camo on ebay uk
    P
    Many

?

ok well my feeling on this helmet is this..... It is well know that the luftwaffe mostly the flak and HG div. loved to camo there helmets I have seen many photo of cost flak div. with camo painted helmet not unlike the one pictured here I have also seen a pic (can't remember where) that showed a whole unit with "custom" painted helmets all different . What I am saying is this .. Maybe this helmet is real maybe not.. I just wouldn't jump to saying its a fake just judged that it is on ebay and its color is off or something is different with the liner .. Who knows? Only the guy who painted and wore it during the war. I have seen a lot of strange German Items that where not the "norm" but where genuine! Like a double decal SS helmet with Runes on each side. and my fav. was a helmet cover made in Italian camo but with the rocker clips like on the SS covers.

P.S. never said I was a true expert ..there is lot of stuff I don't know
    Hi Duke,

This helmet shows clear signs of post war paint and no signs of being period painted. What we have here is a relic battle damaged shell worth not much more than the price of postage that has been cleaned and repainted, then aged and paint scored to look like real wear and tear.

The paint shows very clear signs of false scoring, directionally with a hand held instrument that is creating paint scratches on the surface paint only of a consistent length and width. Damage like this requires a trained eye to know what to look for using real and reproduction examples hands on.

With painted helmets you must look past the pretty designs and neat colors and focus on the not so obvious, and that requires the discipline to accept that it is not real until you can prove to yourself otherwise.

A maybe or maybe not is how a lot of collectors buy fakes and then try to talk themselves into it by believing a story with no creedence or traceable provenance (how many SS relic Demyansk helmets are posted every year...) and saying, well maybe this and maybe that.

Strange German items like Double Runics (I own 4) have to be proven real and the stanger they are the more they have to meet certain acid tests.

This one burns to bits in a vinegar test I am afraid and it would be well to shy away from it and not give the clown selling the helmet any funds, as he needs a jail sentence not any kind of encouragement from those willing to fund his "restoration hobby".

Cheers
    Doug

?

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Then buy it.
    The only true experts on here regarding combat helmets are Doug, Frank, and Francis.
    So when you see posts from either of the three masters, take it as gospel
    John thanks for the compliment indeed however, using the Mark 1 eyeball as a good collector friend says, is all we have and I certainly do not have the knowledge market cornered, in fact I learn everyday. I think using an analytical approach is the best way to discuss and if everyone puts the efforts and energy into learning what is in front of us the hobby becomes stronger.

Also have been wrong before and will be wrong again!

Cool Re: Lovely camo on ebay uk

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hi Duke,

This helmet shows clear signs of post war paint and no signs of being period painted. What we have here is a relic battle damaged shell worth not much more than the price of postage that has been cleaned and repainted, then aged and paint scored to look like real wear and tear.

The paint shows very clear signs of false scoring, directionally with a hand held instrument that is creating paint scratches on the surface paint only of a consistent length and width. Damage like this requires a trained eye to know what to look for using real and reproduction examples hands on.

With painted helmets you must look past the pretty designs and neat colors and focus on the not so obvious, and that requires the discipline to accept that it is not real until you can prove to yourself otherwise.

A maybe or maybe not is how a lot of collectors buy fakes and then try to talk themselves into it by believing a story with no creedence or traceable provenance (how many SS relic Demyansk helmets are posted every year...) and saying, well maybe this and maybe that.

Strange German items like Double Runics (I own 4) have to be proven real and the stanger they are the more they have to meet certain acid tests.

This one burns to bits in a vinegar test I am afraid and it would be well to shy away from it and not give the clown selling the helmet any funds, as he needs a jail sentence not any kind of encouragement from those willing to fund his "restoration hobby".

Cheers
    Doug
    Thank you ! my point! Insted of just saying "no good" "fake" you said what was wrong with it! That was more or less the idea of my first post . Insted of saying "fake" "no good" "stay away from this one" why not say why you think or know its fake. Like I said I don't know if its fake or real or a holigram or the holy grail . If I had it in my hands I could tell you .

?

Thank you ! my point! Insted of just saying "no good" "fake" you said what was wrong with it! That was more or less the idea of my first post . Insted of saying "fake" "no good" "stay away from this one" why not say why you think or know its fake. Like I said I don't know if its fake or real or a holigram or the holy grail . If I had it in my hands I could tell you .
    Duke the problem is we all have lives and to write an essay on every helmet is something that is not practical. I agree it would be great to have a dissertation on why every helmet is "bad" but then we would need one on why every helmet is also "good" and I am afraid I would need several keyboards to get into the level of detail on each helmet and several clones to do the writing.

This is why I think each collector must take the responsiblity of learning his "stuff" so to speak.

When a helmet has a mixed opinion, then fine getting into some detail is needed.

That being said, avoid wasting time looking at this one in hand and get a good one.

?

I met the double runic helmets approx 5 in my life. Even with reapplied decals over the party flag. The same as a M 42 ET 72 DD SS helmet, imo that was a very rare combination...
    Quote by DougB View Post
    Hi Duke,

Cheers
    Doug
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

?

Quote by Isle of Wighter View Post
    I don't know what's going on with this lid , but I do know that I have checked out this sellers previous sales and amongst them I counted 8 'Normandy Camo' some with wire, 9 with 'Chicken wire' including an SS and 3 'Snow Camo' one of which was a medic helmet. Now, I don't know about you lot but I would love to know where he can find so many 'Rare' helmets and why he is willing to let some of them sell for as little as $500? The more I think about it the stronger the smell of fish and rats becomes! Sorry Duke, but your arguments are invalid.
    Great point and a good lesson in checking out the seller if these rare beasts are original they wouldn't be seen anywhere near E Bay , looks like a master forger at wotk here !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Hi Duke,

Cheers
    Doug
    As Doug has pointed out some of the signs of the fake are there to see so lets take these things on board guys and learn in order that the harsh lessons of spenfing money on faked rubbish can be avoided in the future.

This lid currently has 16 people lining up to be conned
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by LAS VEGAS View Post
    Guys i started the thread and i love the diversity in opinoions,its what makes the forum and life interesting.i have to say though that,any education on the subject from any usa university dosnt impress me,as i find americans not to bright,with any due respect.i still love american holidays,and meeting americans as they dont challenge my intellect,too much ,their far too conformist to have a profound opinion on anything.i find europeans more interesting ,lv
    I think you may have just kicked a hornets nest there LV

You sure know how to alienate yourself big style with your self opiniated crappy posts just lately don't you mate? I would suggest that if you have nothing to add of any creditable value to this and other threads, you keep your ill thought out postings to yourself, can't you see that your just making yourself look like a complete buffoon.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast