Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftschutz helmet

Article about: So I recently bought an old Luftschutz helmet on eBay, it's been repainted by the previous owner with this horrible looking black acrylic, it also has a fake Luftschutz winged decal on the f

Default Luftschutz helmet

So I recently bought an old Luftschutz helmet on eBay, it's been repainted by the previous owner with this horrible looking black acrylic, it also has a fake Luftschutz winged decal on the front, it has no helmet liner or rivets and it looks to have some surface rust all over the inside, I could use some help finding out what model this helmet is and what would be the best way to refurbish it, like paint, rivets, decals, etc. Below is the link to the eBay listing, tell me what you guys think, P.S. It also seems to have had a shield decal on the left side, I was saddened to find this out because I was thinking: Sauerland decal.

German WW2 Luftschutz Helmet | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftschutz helmet   Luftschutz helmet  

Luftschutz helmet   Luftschutz helmet  

Luftschutz helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftschutz helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Luftschutz helmet

Its a one piece Gladiator, which basically has seen a lot better days, judging by the pitting under the paint, i would say its fruitless trying to completely restore it, it would cost a great deal more than your initial cost, i would consider removing the paint and leaving it as is, semi relic

Yeah, a friend was telling me that, I was going to sand blast the paint, my friend works with antique auto parts and he has certain materials he said might work, someone also suggested liquid steel? or some sort of resin or the pitting? I'm not sure what I should do, It's a nice helmet, no dents or cracks anywhere : \

?

Dont sand blast it, never blast an original helmet ,it removes all patina and age, even though its rusty, thats all part of its history, trying to fill it with resin or anything else will ruin the thing, underneath that paint there maybe whats left of the original colour, try a paint remover, brush it on in small areas, wipe it off and see whats there and dont rush it, it may take a long while but thats all part of restoring, also dont touch the inside, as for a liner and pins, i doubt very much that you will find a complete or even a partial set and if you do i daresay that will set you back another $40-50 or more, it really isnt worth all that expense especially as there are complete examples out there for about $120-150, depending where you are

Alright, thank you. I guess I will just remove the acrylic paint and see what I have, I usually only purchase helmets I can refurbish and wear but it would be nice to find out that the shield decal is in fact a Sauerland decal, that might up the value of it and I'll be able to make a little more than what I paid.

?

If and its a big if , that the decal was a SAUERLAND it would more than up the value, thats a very rare decal to come by