Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Luftschutz Helmet with pictures

Article about: I'm new to the forum but not new to militaria. I picked up up fist German helmet at a yardsale this weekend. Its a Luftschutz in great shape. German helmets are rare in my area. This one was

3rdky
    ?

Default Luftschutz Helmet with pictures

I'm new to the forum but not new to militaria. I picked up up fist German helmet at a yardsale this weekend. Its a Luftschutz in great shape. German helmets are rare in my area. This one was a vet bring back and not messed with. It is 3 piece. Whats different about it is the rivets and the liner are different than my friends. If you look it has slotted rivets and a higher quality liner with a leather pad at the top of the helmet. There again all are original to the helmet and I didnt paid much for it. Any ideas from the experts on here. Is it early war? And who do you think made it? Heres some pictures:

What do the experts think?
    Thank you,
    Michael

2. # ADS

Default Re: Luftschutz Helmet with pictures

Not really my area, but it looks great, I wish I could have something like that in my collection sometime

Thanks

Danny

?

Do any Luftschutz collectors have anything to say about this one? I am having slight problems with the rivets and "decal" among other things.

?

Is the decal painted ,are those screws in the helmet ,and I think they spelled Luftschutz wrong

3rdky
    ?

Its actually a decal. I'll try to take a better picture with better lighting. I didnt pay anything for it so I wont loose any money. Its old and the patina matches. I pulled out the leather flaps and the liner is held on the helmet with a hollow screw with the nut welded to the band. The screw and nut are old and not something you get at the local hardwear store here in the states. Appears to be made that way. I see someone trying to fake a helmet to get big bucks but why fake a helmet and sell it off for nothing. Also if it was done it was long time ago for the patina matches and its not aged chemically. Looks like the H is missing in Luftschutz but I cant tell if its rubbed off or like you said misspelled it. Very interesting helmet. I dont plan on selling it for I never owned one. Maybe it was a cheep helmet back then..LOL It has some old felt between the liner band and the liner ring. Liner is old not new or chemically aged. What do you think about the round leather pad at the top of the dome in the liner? It has straps running to the band. Last thing this helmet was bought in rural West Kentucky, USA. Mostly farmers here and not alot of German helmets. No one cares about these things here. Anyway thanks for the info and its interresting helmet and odd.
    Michael
    Michael

3rdky
    ?

I might be wrong on the decal. I'll borrow a loop you may be right on painted. Does a decal have an outer film like modern decals on model aircraft? I dont see that on here. Its crude and not very fancy. Also gold not silver like you see. Last thing on how the liner is held to the shell. Looking at the way its made its made with the wearers confort and safety in mind. They used the right sized screws wich dont protrude from the nut which would harm the wearer. They used extra padding to protect the wearer from the feel of the nut. Also added a top padding the top of the dome which your head rests on so if something hit you in the head the nut wouldnt pierce the skin. Lookin at all these factors I can guess this was done when the helmet was in use and not by a faker who wouldnt care about these things. May have not been factory but maybe a field mod. Were there any standards on these helmets like the combat helmets? Who knows maybe who ever made it didnt have rivets that day so whoever built it used whats on hand. Theres no maker stamp or code in it like others I see on here. Its not new that I can tell so if its fake its a very old fake and why fake a cheep helmet.
    These things are interesting I'll give you that and sad theres too many fakes out there to ruin a good hobbie. Anyone have any thoughts to add?
    Michael

?

It certainly appears painted on and I am thinking postwar no question. A little spelling problem there... I do not know the varieties of LS rivets so wont comment either way but have concerns as it is outside the norm.
    Probably not a "faked" helmet per se but a war trophy that some kid in the 50s perhaps dressed up, who knows?

3rdky
    ?

I can agree on that. Reasoning would be the patina. Patina is too old and consistant to be something done today so post war could be possable then brought to the States. Its a nice display helmet and I plan to keep it. Also an interesting helmet. Thanks for the nice comments you never know what you find at yardsales. Anyone find anything about the liner let me know. Its a neet liner. Nice forum too thank everyone for having me.
    Michael

here are some pictures of the liner's my helemts have and a little info from a book i have .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftschutz Helmet with pictures   Luftschutz Helmet with pictures  

Luftschutz Helmet with pictures   Luftschutz Helmet with pictures  

Luftschutz Helmet with pictures