Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Luftschutz M40 Beaded

Article about: by reneblacky Cheers Guys Thanks for the info. Quist only made M40's right up to the end yes? I think this one is a reject (difficult to photograph) for the reason pictured here and previous

Default Re: Luftschutz M40 Beaded

Quote by AMTG View Post
    Rene, for a accurate weight, you will have to remove both liners and strip back the paint.....looking forward to the results!!!!!
    Please - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftschutz M40 Beaded
    P
    Many

Quote by davejb View Post
    Rene i have the same book and although its a very good guide i think the explanations given are really open to interpretation, the fact that they state two theories exist but they are more inclined to believe that there would have been better methods to mark a defective shell is only an opinion but looking a bit deeper and into the mindset of the German military, i am more inclined to believe that they would want the helmet to look uniform in appearance but at the same time be completely recognisable as a defective shell only suitable for non combat usage, logically the only way to do this would be to alter the shape somehow, they couldnt do this by pressure on the sides nor the front or rear but by reducing the height of the shell in someway they could kill two birds with one stone, thereby saving money as well, bearing in mind that this book was produced in the early 80s i wonder if their opinions have altered over the years
    And so the camps are divided. The Ken & Ludwig followers verses the naysayers.....
    As I have mentioned before ( as a toolmaker ) my M40 Quist beaded Luftschutz is a work of art and quality and weighs the same as another combat Q M40 I have. No defects, similar hardness values ( hand held Brinell tester ) and metal gauge ( micrometer measured )
    Must have been a kick in the guts to have to reject & rework a whole batch of beaudy-full helmets, bet the QA guy got some death stares from the workers ..... or maybe that's not what happened? .........h'mm.
    unless

Well done Rene. By the way, I have a beaded M40 LS with the identical liner, no worries on it at all. Jim G.

Very cool Lid.
    You always find good stuff.
    Cheers.
    Nuno

New pic re post and I've recently learned that the lot no. IN 143 is a mis strike (mistake) and should be DN 143
    Still reckon it's a factory second shell

Seeing that yours is a '143', I quickly checked mine to see if I had its brother. It's a '173'.

Still, not too far off!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftschutz M40 Beaded   Luftschutz M40 Beaded  

Luftschutz M40 Beaded   Luftschutz M40 Beaded  

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Seeing that yours is a '143', I quickly checked mine to see if I had its brother. It's a '173'.

Still, not too far off!
    Real close Cheers for posting

Here's the nose comparison to a S3422 ND combat
    Sorry hard to shoot
    Last edited by reneblacky; 03-18-2013 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added pic

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6