Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe Helmet

Article about: Hi, I have recently bought this Luftwaffe helmet, was found by previous owner during the war in Rennes, France, was told. Could you please give me your views?, thanks, Juan

Its an original helmet and I think the eagle decal is also original, as is the paintwork and liner. However it has been heavily cleaned, quiet possibly removing postwar paint. The tricolour decal is certainly partly or entirely repainted. As to whether its a good helmet, its fine if you didnt pay too much for it. It is genuine, and thats the most important thing.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Helmet
    P
    Many

Thanks mate, great explanation, was it very common that they painted the helmets after the war?. Also, yeah, the Price I paid was IMO ok, 400 Euros I recall, nevertheless, bought it long before being a member in here, do you think I did well by buying this?, no regrets, thanks, Juan
    Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Its an original helmet and I think the eagle decal is also original, as is the paintwork and liner. However it has been heavily cleaned, quiet possibly removing postwar paint. The tricolour decal is certainly partly or entirely repainted. As to whether its a good helmet, its fine if you didnt pay too much for it. It is genuine, and thats the most important thing.

Many helmets were repainted after the war as they were reused by various armies and civil defence organisations. Sometimes you also find them repainted for theatrical or biker use.

You did actually pay too much for it, but dont let that worry you too much, it happens to us all.

If this was my helmet I would certainly take that string off it and put a good strap on it. (or do without if you dont want to pay out for an original)

Quote by jamoros View Post
    Thanks mate, great explanation, was it very common that they painted the helmets after the war?. Also, yeah, the Price I paid was IMO ok, 400 Euros I recall, nevertheless, bought it long before being a member in here, do you think I did well by buying this?, no regrets, thanks, Juan
    Did you do well depends on for what reason you bought it.
    If for the price 400 euros is way too much , if because you wanted a nice untouched helmet I'm afraid that is also not the case and I would suggest selling this one to fund a better and untouched helmet.

Thanks, will try to sell it, under 400 Euros of course, and see if I can minimize my loss, thanks a lot guys for your good advice. This is a reminder of how important is this Fórum
    Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Did you do well depends on for what reason you bought it.
    If for the price 400 euros is way too much , if because you wanted a nice untouched helmet I'm afraid that is also not the case and I would suggest selling this one to fund a better and untouched helmet.

Sorry, forgot to ask, those numbers printed on the helmet, what is the meaning?

The helmet is marked NS being the manufacturer code for Vereinigte Deutsche Nikelwerke, and 64, which is the size (medium) the other number is the factory lot number,

Thanks for all your help, as said above I am going to finally sell it, will keep you posted
    Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    The helmet is marked NS being the manufacturer code for Vereinigte Deutsche Nikelwerke, and 64, which is the size (medium) the other number is the factory lot number,

Maker N.S for vereinigte deutsche Nikelwerke in schwerte 6? Would mean the size of the helmet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2