Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftwaffe Helmet Opinions

Article about: I am interested in buying this helmet and would appreciate any opinions to its authenticity. The decal has a smudge of paint on it. It is advertised as a M35 (looks more like M40?) Thanks.

Default Re: Luftwaffe Helmet Opinions

Quote by Pablo View Post
    So it is an M35? I thought the vent holes above the decal closeup look like an M40. Still learnin'.
    I think it's a M40 too, the vent holes look pressed in, not riveted

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe Helmet Opinions
    P
    Many

Quote by battle gear View Post
    I think it's a M40 too, the vent holes look pressed in, not riveted
    What an absurd discussion. Is it a fake M40 or a fake M35 ?? There are only two possibilities , either the helmet is a real M35 or a fake shell altogether. It would be a really dumb faker to put a drooptail eagle on an M40 as well. But stranger things can happen ...
    Only SE helmets have more pronounced vents on their M40 and M42's.

Here's a close-up of an ET M40 vent.

the shell is obviously original no repros can achieve the correct shape or stamps this one seems to have correct stamping and shape to it but that's all for this helmet..........

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    What an absurd discussion. Is it a fake M40 or a fake M35 ?? There are only two possibilities , either the helmet is a real M35 or a fake shell altogether. It would be a really dumb faker to put a drooptail eagle on an M40 as well. But stranger things can happen ...
    Only SE helmets have more pronounced vents on their M40 and M42's.

Here's a close-up of an ET M40 vent.

Settle petal, is their any reason to jump down our throats by saying this is absurd.

People are learning here, I though people were here to guide and advise, not ridicule. We all don't have the level of experience you have

Quote by qotd View Post
    Settle petal, is their any reason to jump down our throats by saying this is absurd.

People are learning here, I though people were here to guide and advise, not ridicule. We all don't have the level of experience you have
    At least I settle the matter with proof instead of shooting off opinions in the dark. Unfortunately one gets the most posters here when posting up fake crap (that's the absurdity) ,if you compare it when someone posts a real nice helmet everyone holds back their postings. (and fail to learn)
    Discerning an M40 from an M35 is basic German helmet knowledge , a good book can help with that.

this is one to definitely avoid,,,,

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    At least I settle the matter with proof instead of shooting off opinions in the dark. Unfortunately one gets the most posters here when posting up fake crap (that's the absurdity) ,if you compare it when someone posts a real nice helmet everyone holds back their postings. (and fail to learn)
    Discerning an M40 from an M35 is basic German helmet knowledge , a good book can help with that.
    I think that can be attributed to the fact that there is more to say about the details of a fake helmet than a real one. When a helmet is good, it's good, and there isn't much more to say about it. When a helmet is fake, there can be so many reasons why it is fake and everyone suddenly has an opinion of it.

Just my two cents...

?

Being a novice in the arena of German helmet collecting and not having a collection of authentic helmets to directly compare with, I rely on the collective expertise of folks in this forum to assist me with purchasing decisions. This is really appreciated and I believe I have avoided getting some bad helmets and at the same time increased my knowledge and appreciation for these helmets. Schwerepunkt seems to be the "Simon Cowell" of the forum and sometimes am amused by his blunt responses. Anyway, thanks for all your responses.

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    When a helmet is fake, there can be so many reasons why it is fake and everyone suddenly has an opinion of it.
    opinions are like Ars***les.........................everyone has one!

However when a good helmet does come up, there is plenty to say about it, trouble is everyone wants to show off their limited knowledge and they end up slamming a good one, coz they don't know a good one from a bad one.
    Just my tuppence worth.

Pablo, The forums are indeed a valuable resource, but there is nothing better than holding an original piece in hand to experience the weight, smell, look etc. of the piece in the flesh. I would recommend going to as many shows as possible and doing just that. I also recommend that you pick up a few good reference books and study them. The Niewiarowicz book is about the best one out there for Third Reich helmets overall, and the Hicks books on SS helmets are a must if you are interested in strolling through that minefield. It is getting harder and harder to discern the fakes as the forgers are getting better every day. It is up to each of us to learn for ourselves in order to avoid getting stung. That being said, when considering a purchase, you should always seek opinions from those you trust if you are at all unsure, it is much easier than seeking a refund from someone who has already demonstrated that he or she is willing to rip you off in the first place. Regarding Frank, I think that he has vast knowledge, and I have learned much from his responses, he seems to have been correct in his assessments in every instance where I have seen that he has replied to a thread. When there is a helmet posted about which I am unsure, I look forward to his evaluation. Cheers, Jim G.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast