Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe M 40 combat?

Article about: Hello everyone; I've just been offered with this M 40 (ET 64) which puzzles me. It bears traces of bright yellow paint, inside and outside, but, mainly, it appears green or blue, depends on

Default Luftwaffe M 40 combat?

Hello everyone; I've just been offered with this M 40 (ET 64) which puzzles me. It bears traces of bright yellow paint, inside and outside, but, mainly, it appears green or blue, depends on the light (sun, camera flash or natural light with overcast sky).
    I tend to believe that it has been "cleaned" by that yellow paint, so probably the liner has been disassembled and the put again on it; or, simply, added later. But, since the asked price is quite interesting, I would know your opinions on it before passing.
    Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe M 40 combat?   Luftwaffe M 40 combat?  

Luftwaffe M 40 combat?   Luftwaffe M 40 combat?  

Luftwaffe M 40 combat?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe M 40 combat?
    P
    Many

The followings pics are taken with camera flash or direct sun:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe M 40 combat?   Luftwaffe M 40 combat?  

Luftwaffe M 40 combat?  

Good unmessed with Luftwaffe helmets are common , if you think it has been messed with why would you want it ?
    Collecting because the price is good is not the best way in my opinion.

One thing you have to check is if the yellow paint is not toned white wash , if it is white wash it could have been cleaned off during WW2 by the soldier. The liner pins should give an indication if tampered with.

Thanks Schwerpunkt. About the price, I could be with you: sure not the best way to collect historical items, but it also depends on the "messed with" level: if it's a fantasy job paint, with replaced and/or fake parts, I will pass; but, if everything is genuine WW2 period, and just cleaned up by a collector, for 300/350 i would consider the deal: mainly because it seems to me, as stated, greenish, and it would indicate a combat LW helmet, and not a plain, (relatively) common "blau" M40. This is the reason because I ask for your appreciated opinions.
    About the yellow, this is plain, bright yellow, which is present also on the inner crown. I added some pics of the rivets: the rear one is almost white, but the others seem of the same tone of the external paint.

Luftwaffe M 40 combat?  

Hi, it all looks original to my eye, but it is not the most pleasing helmet to look at in my opinion, so I would be inclined to pass on it. Leon.

?

I think you could get a better example for the 3-350 range your thinking of. As mentioned above there are plenty of good ones out there.

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Thanks Schwerpunkt. About the price, I could be with you: sure not the best way to collect historical items, but it also depends on the "messed with" level: if it's a fantasy job paint, with replaced and/or fake parts, I will pass; but, if everything is genuine WW2 period, and just cleaned up by a collector, for 300/350 i would consider the deal: mainly because it seems to me, as stated, greenish, and it would indicate a combat LW helmet, and not a plain, (relatively) common "blau" M40. This is the reason because I ask for your appreciated opinions.
    About the yellow, this is plain, bright yellow, which is present also on the inner crown. I added some pics of the rivets: the rear one is almost white, but the others seem of the same tone of the external paint.
    All Luftwaffe helmets have the same paint color (different per maker).
    The green is just there because of the patina although you'll see more M35's having a green shine to them , it also could be because the helmet has been oiled at a certain point by a collector. This is what I think that causes the green coating.
    So it does not designate it as a helmet that has definitely seen combat , neither does the fact that it's more oxidated is proof of it having seen more combat than a better preserved helmet.
    It is what it is a lower end common Luftwaffe helmet.

Thanks for your suggestion; actually, not the best M40 out there... Any thought about the yellow paint? Norwegian post war reissue as civil defence helmet?