Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Luftwaffe M1935 Double Decal White CAMO steel Helmet---OPINIONS please! Thanks

Article about: I just bought this m1935 Double Decal helmet. It appears to have been white-washed for camo at one point. I have never had a camo helmet, so I would like some feedback on this. The square ri

Default Re: Luftwaffe M1935 Double Decal White CAMO steel Helmet---OPINIONS please! Thanks

Sorry mate, I didn't enjoy telling you that it's bad. It's quite easy to put rust on steel and age leather etc, in this corner of the forum we regularly see faked up helmets, and they can often be far far more convincing than this one. You didn't mention if the shell has markings on the inside rim? I would get in touch with the auction house if I were you.

A re-enactor might want it, or you may be able to get a refund. No sense throwing it away.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe M1935 Double Decal White CAMO steel Helmet---OPINIONS please!  Thanks
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe M1935 Double Decal White CAMO steel Helmet---OPINIONS please! Thanks

Sorry friend. All bad. Decals look to be stickers. Liner looks to be European fake. Chin strap is also a repro. Always have to be careful at auctions. Auction companies pay gun experts to come in and authenticate guns, same with art, but they usually don't know crap about helmets and there really is no one to call in to authenticate them. Better luck next time.

The learning process is the toughest part with this hobby and its alot of bumps and bruises,, this is the beginning of wisdom in collecting. Discipline is hard but worth it!!
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Upload a good, straight on side profile shot of the helmet, as was suggested in another post. Also, post clear close up shots of any stamps on the interior rim of the helmet. In my opinion, even as a reproduction the helmet still has value to someone so don't throw it out. Many collectors like to use repros as placeholders in their displays until they can afford a good one.

Luftwaffe M1935 Double Decal White CAMO steel Helmet---OPINIONS please!  ThanksLuftwaffe M1935 Double Decal White CAMO steel Helmet---OPINIONS please!  ThanksI added 2 pics of the side profile. I could not find any stamp marks on the inside. As far as going back to the auction goes...not an option. All items sold "as is". They state this clearly at the beginning of the auction. If someone wants to buy it, shoot me an offer. I know I'm not going to get what I paid, but something is better than nothing. thanks

Hey Buddy, it does happen from time to time, I know for myself I got burned a couple times before finding this wonderful forum. Now I don't bother with any purchase before having an opinion from the guys here, plus just being able to watch other peoples posts and questions is a huge thing for myself in learning new facts if even on the smallest details. Your not the only one out there who has had this happen to so don't feel bad. We learn and move on.

You can get those repo chin straps on ebay, I have also learned a few lessons the hard way on collecting these helmets, the most common fakes are SS helmets and anything labeled "camo" or "winter camo" you have to use extreme caution before purchasing. Dont feel bad, If you have to keep it then you can maybe put some repo camo netting over it or an original bread bag strap, maybe a pair of goggles and it will still look nice when put out for display.

?

Its a bitter pill to swallow but unfortunately we learn by mistakes, however why not keep this piece as a reference of a fake, examine it thoroughly inside and out, see all the little and big errors that were made, notice the shape of the shell, the condition of the liner compared to the interior of the helmet, have a look inside where the vent is, invariably there isnt a washer type fixing but a bent over "starred" rim , thats because they only use a one piece vent instead of two, look at the internal rim of the helmet, notice how roughly turned it is, the decals , the paint, smell of the whole thing, new paint smell can last for a couple of years

Thanks for the input. Yes, it stings...very badly. Especially when I spend valueable money on something that turns out to be nothing. I've decided to sell it if someone wants it. I know I won't get back what I paid, but a little is better than nothing....maybe I can get enough to put an ad in the paper ripping the auction house for selling repro shit. Or possibly a tank of gas.... So, if anyone is interested, you can shoot me a private message with offers. thanks

?

Sorry, part of the learning curve. If your at an auction take iPhone pics and post it up, you'll get answers right away. Most auctions have viewing times prior to the event itself, that's the time to get in. If your not sure avoid anything Third Reich.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast