Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe m35 real?

Article about: What are your opinions about the authenticity of this helmet?

I still like it... certainly not the finest of examples, but not the worst either. Thanks for showing.

Cheers,
    Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe m35 real?
    P
    Many

Hi, I see no real issues, the liner may well have been treated at some point but it all looks ok. Leon.

Got a 56 cm liner is a 66 shell. Somewhere along the line, something was switched out

Quote by real steel View Post
    Got a 56 cm liner is a 66 shell. Somewhere along the line, something was switched out
    You're quite right David, I need to concentrate more, that liner has been switched and is to small for the shell. Now that is a shame, I would be interested to see what the pins look like in case it had a field replacement liner and a mistake was made?? A long shot I know, but worth a look. Leon.

Yeah as noted before the liner unfortunately makes this helmet a lot less interesting. It's also either been treated heavily or the leather itself is also not belonging to that steel band. The folds are very odd.
    Decal and shell are ok.

As a side note , is there a reason why you took the strap off ?

Thank you all for the clarifications!

@realsteel: Thanks for your notice on the liner size. The outer-band size (wich would correspond to the size designation of the helmet) is 64; the internal band (wich would correspond with the wearer’s head size) is 56. Indeed too small, 64 instead of 66.

@FALLSCHIRMJAGER: I took some photos of the pins, see below.

@Schwerpunkt: I took the chin strap off to take better pictures. There were some different opinions between fellow forum members earlier in this post about the chin strap. And it was easy to take off as it has no pins anymore.

Sounds to me like the helmet is put together with remaining/spare parts, likely by a collector. However, as long as all the parts are ww2 it's oke for me. That was my only demand.
    The leather is greased but a very long time ago I think, the leather in the liner and on the chin strap smell like an old coffin. I didn't look for markings yet.

But once again thanks for all the efforts in helping me on this one, I really appreciate it

Luftwaffe m35 real?Luftwaffe m35 real?

Hi, sadly those really good close-ups of the pins show that they have been "re-bent". The liner has been added most likely post war, as for the leather I think it is probably original, but treated as the discolouring goes all over it's surface unlike "staining" from a greasy head or hair lacquer. The leathers retaining rivets are zinc and not brass so that is good. As you say, looks like it has been put together from original parts. Leon.

I love the fact that the members here will take the time to point out the smallest details. BRAVO!!!!!
    Ya'll(southern term) are the best.
    Marty
    Last edited by Tank Destroyer; 11-04-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I love the fact that the members here will take the time to point on the smallest details. BRAVO!!!!!
    Ya'll(southern term) are the best.
    Marty
    I love the fact that "Bund"...the owner of this helmet took the opinions & facts maturely & respectfully, even when faults were noted about his helmet. His attitude & response to this thread are what gets one respect & a chance to make friends on this forum.

So if we helped you here...you are "Most Welcome", anytime

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2