Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

luftwaffe radioman helmet

Article about: What do you guys think of this helmet. German Luftwaffe helmet field modified for radioman for anti aircraft battery side beat out to accomodate headset.

Default luftwaffe radioman helmet

What do you guys think of this helmet.
    German Luftwaffe helmet field modified for radioman for anti aircraft battery side beat out to accomodate headset.
    luftwaffe radioman helmetluftwaffe radioman helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement luftwaffe radioman helmet
    P
    Many

Default Re: luftwaffe radioman helmet

Very interesting Chris. The hand painted bird looks to have been there for a long time.

Eric

?

Chris, to be honest im not 100% convinced about this lid, it doesnt make a lot of sense, even by beating out the inside skirt the headset would still be restricted by the liner and the outer band, the headset wouldnt fit in between the liner and the helmet imo

Its unusual piece I have to say, however I have heard about this being done but I'm yet to see an original example. Whats to say that the liner wasnt modified too in order for a headset to be worn under the helmet?

Thanks

Danny

Quote by davejb View Post
    Chris, to be honest im not 100% convinced about this lid, it doesnt make a lot of sense, even by beating out the inside skirt the headset would still be restricted by the liner and the outer band, the headset wouldnt fit in between the liner and the helmet imo
    I really do not know anything about this helmet,tryed to find some info about it and did not came up with anything.I know the German did make a helmet for Radioman for aircraft use but even that helmet has little info.Plus that paint job on the front of it looks post-war to me looks very close to a patch the German air-force is use now.

Chris

?

True Chris, its a strange one!!, as for modifying the liner Danny, i cant see how you would do it other than adding extra metal into the outer and inner rings, but the helmet hasnt been done in the factory, its supposed to be a field modification, also the liner would still have to fit the users head or it would be far too loose

Is the helmet decaled?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Is the helmet decaled?
    No it is not,it just has the paint job on the front of it.
    Chris

This type of helmet is covered in Baer's book, page 342.

Since appearing there, countless fakes have been constructed and I regard this as one of them.

Worn by aircrew and the insignia is for KG53. The original resides in the IWM. The sides should be much more flared out and there should be straps and felt padding to the crown back and front.

Cheers, Ade.

Here is a genuine Luftwaffe flight crew helmet LKpW101 (Winter Type) with a correctly made steel shell (M42??) fitted over it. Note the rivets fixing the liner and straps are unique.

This was used by all bomber crewmen not just W/op's on operations over Russia in the period '42-'43 when it's use appears to have fizzled out. I have also seen photo's of something similar used by bomber crew during the Battle of Britain, but don't have them to hand, they we're in the book 'Battle of Britain-Then and Now' if I recollect.

Regards, Ned.luftwaffe radioman helmetluftwaffe radioman helmetluftwaffe radioman helmet
    Attached Images Attached Images luftwaffe radioman helmet 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast