MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe SD M42

Article about: Hi All, I thought I would share this recently acquired SD Luftwaffe M42 manufactured by NS. This previously belonged to my grandfather who wore it as a motorcycle helmet, but that's just how

?

Default Luftwaffe SD M42

Hi All,
    I thought I would share this recently acquired SD Luftwaffe M42 manufactured by NS.

This previously belonged to my grandfather who wore it as a motorcycle helmet, but that's just how things were in the 70's!

Decal is an NS variant, and as you will see, there are some condition issues. Still, considering this belonged to my grandfather, who is no longer with us, I'm proud to have it in my collection!

I hope you enjoy!

Luftwaffe SD M42
    Luftwaffe SD M42
    Luftwaffe SD M42
    Luftwaffe SD M42
    Luftwaffe SD M42
    Luftwaffe SD M42
    Luftwaffe SD M42
    Luftwaffe SD M42
    Luftwaffe SD M42
    Luftwaffe SD M42

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe SD M42
    P
    Many

Default Re: Luftwaffe SD M42

An unfortunate location for the rust, but I agree with you that with the family connection, it is a fine helmet that should stay in your collection until you pass it on to your son or grandson in the future. Jim G.

PS: Unless a daughter or grand daughter catches our particular bug!

?

Thank you for the kind words, Jim.

I have a 18 month old son and a second child on the way. We aren't 100% on the sex yet, but believe it's a girl. With that said, sky's the limit on which of them may catch the collecting bug!

4md
    ?

Nice lid, Likewise about the rust, if the helmet sat on a slightly different angle that ns decal would be in excellent condition, still i would love it in my collection
    regards Paul

?

Nice lid, being a family heirloom I would seriously consider removing the rust in a professional manner.

Exactly, if you can remove the rust as much as possible professionally then you would have an excellent lid that has been stabilized for the future.

Either way nice helmet you have there

?

Thank you, gentlemen! It truly is a shame the rust effected the decal. Had it only been lying on it's other side...But what's done is done.

As for restoration, who would you recommend in the states?

You could give it a wipe over with some barkeepers friend yourself, that rust doesn't look too bad.

?

A dealer I frequent suggested soaking the area in WD-40 on another helmet I have. That one has some major rust issues (stored in a vets garage for years) which is a shame because it would be a nice DD poliezi M40. It helped a little, but it would never be brought back to it's original condition. I wonder if that would work better. I also have Barkeepers friend, I just want to use the method that would less harsh.

Barkeepers friend isn't too harsh and WD40 won't remove rust. There are a few threads in the restoration and preservation forum that should help you make a decision.