Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Luftwaffe SE 64

Article about: Hello all, picked another Luft up, any opinions always welcome.

Quote by Astrath View Post
    I believe it is a unique helmet, but the liner fixation pins, leather holder part is a little loose, at least so it seems in these pictures, which may indicate a replacement of the internal part, but anyway it is a beautiful helmet.
    I think you have made a lot of comments based on nothing.
    1) Felt never shows from the pics shown
    2) Rivets are very often loose that is never a concern

If you need to check if a liner is Original there's a 3 second check.

Check the paint on the outside (and to make it difficult paint discrepancies between helmet and rivet are acceptable) , check the pins on the inside for strange bends , check if patina and grime on the pins inside matches the helmet interior.

From the photos provided I see no issues to comment on at this point but the photos are not very good. Way too dark.
    But it is a good helmet with a good liner.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe SE 64
    P
    Many

nice original sd m40

Hi, I see no issues at all with this helmet, The liner certainly appears to be the original, judging by the wear and condition in relation to the shell. A nice original untouched example. Leon.

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi, I see no issues at all with this helmet, The liner certainly appears to be the original, judging by the wear and condition in relation to the shell. A nice original untouched example. Leon.
    thanks, all these items I take to a local collector/dealer for a in-a hand inspection, as they handle these items all the time for the last 30yrs., he was of the same opinion as you, but I still like to share here.

very nice luft helmet!

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I think you have made a lot of comments based on nothing.
    1) Felt never shows from the pics shown
    2) Rivets are very often loose that is never a concern

If you need to check if a liner is Original there's a 3 second check.

Check the paint on the outside (and to make it difficult paint discrepancies between helmet and rivet are acceptable) , check the pins on the inside for strange bends , check if patina and grime on the pins inside matches the helmet interior.

From the photos provided I see no issues to comment on at this point but the photos are not very good. Way too dark.
    But it is a good helmet with a good liner.

Hello friend, as I said I am no expert, and I agree with you on all points mentioned. But I think the loose pins can be the first signal to an internal check, of course not always loose pin will indicate a change of the liner.
    Looking at the pictures it was not possible to have a detail of clarity, however, as I wrote in another post, it is a beautiful helmet.
    Thanks,

?

@ Larboard, KIA lid, because of the cut on chinstrap, I have heard of taking lids off dead that way, this one also has that. Best RegardsLuftwaffe SE 64

I never even thought of the chinstrap, but that does make sense.

I think it's really neat to have an untampered with WWII German helmet. To me it trumps condition, all of these things being variable... I don't go in for the rusty relic either. I like to have well preserved items that look "as captured", a long long time ago.

I have two helmets, the M40 I showed, and a probably somewhat rare single decal M42 (the decal was seriously being phased out by then, and the liner in that one, while still being partial is no longer usable, probably another KIA.

And no chinstrap.

I did put a fairly correctly dated chinstrap on it a while back, and I still feel a little guilty about it for changing something on it. But... it's just a chinstrap, it doesn't alter anything on the shell itself, liner pins etc.

This is where most good honest vet bringbacks have their originality destroyed, when people feel compelled to "restore" the interior of the helmet.

While restored, it is no longer original.

Can't have it both ways

?

@ Laboard, agree on that, and too me lids and guns are what I favor, somewhat safer, cloth & medals are a nasty field to get in to even tho I buy a few of them if the price is right, have a great weekend, talk @ u later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2