Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M-16

Article about: Hello. Experts prompt on the helmet? Any information is important. Interested in your opinion on the camouflage. Any additional photos.

Thank you All for your answers. The strip of the liner is metal. The helmet liner has been standing for a long time and holds very firmly, is covered with corrosion, apparently stands for a long time. I give you another photo. So you like camouflage?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M-16   M-16  

M-16   M-16  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-16
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Well those split pins are bent like a pretzel. So definitely tampered with.

Really hard to say anything about the camo as the 2nd set of photos are not good. But in the first photo I think I see paint over pitting. Which if true is a red flag
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Well those split pins are bent like a pretzel. So definitely tampered with.

Really hard to say anything about the camo as the 2nd set of photos are not good. But in the first photo I think I see paint over pitting. Which if true is a red flag
    Can need to other photo? Thanks.

My own opinion is that the camouflage painting is good and original, although an in-hand inspection is always preferred to be absolutely certain. As for the pins, they have definitely been out and the steel band has been tampered with... see attached pictures of the pins in my own M17 helmet, these have never been removed.

Just in case you are not already aware, the M16 and M17 helmet are exactly the same helmet, the difference is in the type of liner band used. The M16 had a leather band to which the pads were attached, and then in the spring of 1917 the leather band was replaced with a steel band to conserve the use of leather. The first time the actual helmet shell was changed was in August 1918. The attachment points for the chinstrap - which were more or less the same as those used on the Pickelhaube - were done away with, and from then on the chinstrap was attached to the liner band. I hope that this information is of some use to you. Click on pictures to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

M-16M-16

?

The camo paint is likely legitimate, but looks to have been shellacked or heavily oiled at some point. That alone would put me off unless it was inexpensive.

Thank you for your answers. Can you comment on its price in this condition, if not on the forum, you can tell me in "Personal messages".

It depends if you are thinking of buying it, or selling it. That aside, I would not give a value based on pictures, it needs to be looked at properly to do that. But the best thing you can do is remove that French liner if you own it.

I still think the paint has a chance even though there are small pits which I think are the result of this helmet being badly stored over a long period of time. The liner looks like it was swapped out a long time ago too as the rust on it is in keeping with the other rust inside the shell. Perhaps it was the toy of a French child some time after WW1!?

Does the seller offer an inspection period?

Thank You All !M-16

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2