MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Is this an M-1942?

Article about: I am new to this forum. I have had this helmet for about 40 years. My dad picked it up at a gun show way back when. From my research I think it is a 1942 Rural Police (double decal), Could a

Default Is this an M-1942?

I am new to this forum. I have had this helmet for about 40 years. My dad picked it up at a gun show way back when. From my research I think it is a 1942 Rural Police (double decal), Could anyone look at the picture and confirm or correct me? Could you give me an idea of it's value?

Is this an M-1942?Is this an M-1942?

Boatron

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this an M-1942?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Is this an M-1942?

Based on the photos it appears the rim is flared out and not rolled under. That would indeed make it an M42. Very nice lid.

Hi there. You are correct it is an M42. I have some concerns though, can you post good close ups of the decals? The liner may have been replaced from the look of the retaining rivets, interior shots will help also

There is no way to tell if it was rural police or another branch, they all used the same types of decal. Often the police decal gets toned with lacquer or age and some people have mistakenly taken this toning to signify water police or rural police units, similar to the KM / toned Heer decal debate that comes up from time to time.

I'm not a very good photographer. But here is the liner and a closer view of the decal.

Is this an M-1942?Is this an M-1942?Is this an M-1942?

Thanks,
    Boatron

Try using the macro function on your camera, usually a little flower icon. It will help you get sharp close ups. Liner looks good from the new pic check the rivets on the inside and see if they look re-bent. They should be nice and straight after they pass through the liner band.

There should also be stampings on the helmet in the two locations I've circled below. What do they say?

Is this an M-1942?

I would guess from the shape and helmet / decal scale it is an ET66 (ckl66) Let's see if I'm right

I looked at the stamp on the back rim. It appears to say either 1270 or 1279. The stamp on the side is much more difficult to see. I think it says RF66 (the first character is very difficult to see). It could also be RE66.
    After the responses I received on this forum I more closely looked at the liner. The rivets are a slightly different color that the helmet. And they are not rivets, they are bolts (with thin nuts inside).
    I took the advice of using the macro setting on the camera and have a better shot of the emblem.

Is this an M-1942?

Thanks for the guidance.

Boatron