Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M-35 Helmet, looking for info....

Article about: Hello, first time poster. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a M-35 helmet off Gun Broker. I'm sure many of you saw the listing. I am very happy with the helmet. This is my first ww2 era Germ

?

Default M-35 Helmet, looking for info....

Hello, first time poster. A couple of weeks ago I purchased a M-35 helmet off Gun Broker. I'm sure many of you saw the listing. I am very happy with the helmet. This is my first ww2 era German helmet, so I'm still learning a lot about identification and spotting fakes. The shell appears to be original, but I'm not too sure about the liner. The studs that hold it are kind of loose, indicating that it has been removed and reinstalled. I'd love for you guys to give me your opinion and any additional information you may know about it.

Thanks in advance Sunny

M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M-35 Helmet, looking for info....
    P
    Many

M38
    ?

The shell and the decal look okay. The liner is real, but probably a post war replacement as you say. It seems too nice for the overall worn and rusty condition of the shell. There is a glue repair on one of the fingers of the liner and there is some strange coloring around the left front rivet. Pictures of the inside of the rivets where they are bent over the liner band would help determine if the liner is a war time or post war replacement. All in all, not a bad first helmet though, congratulations.

Cheers,
    Terry

Hi, Sunny. Welcome to the forum!
    I agree with M38. I doubt this liner belongs in this helmet, but an original liner nonetheless. Photos of the lnterior of the liner pins would help. It is possible to replace the liner and inner liner band without replacing or removing the outside liner band, which has the year and manufacturer stamps. It takes some skill but can be done. I also think this helmet may have been cleaned, which may account for variations in the color and tone of the paint. Mind if I ask what the price tag was? Thanks for showing.

?

Is'nt this supposed to be an M35??, it has M40 liner ring with chin posts, so IF this is a M35? The liner ring HAS been replaced at some time

?

Having looked again at the liner, I'm not 100% convinced of the originality of the actual leather, as I understood the manufacturing process, the leathers were cut with a one piece die, which included the vent holes , and these holes were of a uniform size, the one pictured has different sized holes, ie, two larger holes towards the centre, can anyone else comment,also look at the tongue to the left of the creased tongue, there's a different sized hole , one large one small, some things not right here

The liner looks spliced, which isnt unusual, but spliced liners were typically seen in mid-war to late war helmets, as materials became scarce. Perhaps some more photos of the liner would help. And if the poster could look behind the liner for any ink stampings by the rear stitching, which, with a spliced liner, I would suspect an RBNr. I would also expect writing on the liner to be faded or blurry from wear. That writing looks almost new, or at least the liner itself wasn't used very much after the war. Or that is a post war name written on the liner. I also see the large vs small vent holes. I will give it the benefit of the doubt and say that may be the angle of the photos. In short, we need more photos

?

Hi Todd, its definitely not the angle of the photo, something's a bit out of place here

Quote by davejb View Post
    Hi Todd, its definitely not the angle of the photo, something's a bit out of place here
    Howdy, Dave, It may be, but I think we need more photos, and some straight on shots, to say for sure.

@ Sunny: If you can, take a look in the helmet section here and note the types of photos that accompany helmet threads. We will need more of the liner, etc, to try to determine for sure if this liner is original and/or if it belongs with this helmet, which as it stands, I doubt.

?

Thanks a lot for the info already.

Here are a few more pictures. The outer liner does say 1942. Maybe reissued? or more likely restored. But the only thing I see on the inner liner is 64/57. I paid $395 for it.

Thanks

M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....M-35 Helmet, looking for info....

Well.....that's one way to look. Guess I took for granted not mentioning to not bend the split pins. But, it's done now. I think this is a restored helmet. A war time helmet wouldnt have size in red marker on the side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast