Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner

Article about: This is a recent acquisition M17 transitional with original three pad liner on a metal liner frame. Unfortunately, one of the previous owners spray-painted the top of the helmet with some ki

Default M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner

This is a recent acquisition M17 transitional with original three pad liner on a metal liner frame. Unfortunately, one of the previous owners spray-painted the top of the helmet with some kind of black, rubbery latex paint. I've been painstakingly removing the latex paint to see if there were any decals under there, but there was just decal remnants... It almost looks like someone has purposefully removed the decals at one point but that's just a guess.

It doesn't look like the under side of the helmet or the liner have been messed-with. I'm guessing that the black paint on the under-side of this lid is all original(it's certainly not a latex paint and has surface rust), from it's first repaint, but I'd like everyone's opinion on that. I may put this helmet for sale here on this site so if anyone could help me out with a price-range that would be most helpful.

Also, the double-buckle chin strap is not leather. It looks like it's some kind of canvas. Does the chin strap look original?
    -Flash
    Attached Images Attached Images M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner  M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner  M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner  M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner  M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner  M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner
    P
    Many

Default Re: M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner

Flash, I personally wouldnt call this a "Transitional" helmet, it IMO is or was a perfectly textbook M17 Imperial steel helmet, that some one has repainted/sprayed black (and added horrendously large decals) back in the mists of time for some reason, (probably to imitate an SS black lid !) it retains what looks to be its original liner band and off white pads, and still has its M91 Pickelhaube style chinstrap mounts, the chinstrap looks to be a canvas "ersatz" late war strap, they did exist....(but are now faked !), all in all it could be a nice helmet, with a bit of elbow grease ! the marking "TJ 66" show it was made by " C. Thiel & Soehne " of Lubeck, they made sizes 66 & 68, yours is obviously a size 66. As for price around £200 in its present condition.
    Prost ! Steve.

Default Re: M17 Transitional with Orignial Liner

Thank you Steve! That is most helpful.
    Maybe I should have posted in the WW1 forum. I had assumed that the black color(underside) and decal fragments indicated it was transitional, but I don't know much about transitional lids. Moderators feel free to move this thread.