Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M18(?) Found at antique toy store

Article about: By chance, I stopped by an antique toy store the other day. Beyond toy trains and erector sets, they had a few odds and ends, sports memorabilia, etc. Low and behold, they had three helmets.

Default M18(?) Found at antique toy store

By chance, I stopped by an antique toy store the other day. Beyond toy trains and erector sets, they had a few odds and ends, sports memorabilia, etc.

Low and behold, they had three helmets. Going from left to right... a brodie, a US Civil Defense with "Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941" written on it with golden paint, aaaand what appears to be an M18 transitional helmet.

The man behind the counter was grumpy. He let me inspect the helmets, but would not let me take pictures... so I snapped this sneaky picture.

I am interested in the M18. The helmet itself is in good shape, but the liner is literally in tatters and is bundled up in a plastic bag.

I may be interested in the brodie as well... but it had a leather liner I've never seen before. Perhaps it was a helmet produced after WW1 and used before the M1 steel pot was adopted?

What do you guys think? What is a fair price for the two helmets I'm interested in?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18(?) Found at antique toy store
    P
    Many

Default Re: M18(?) Found at antique toy store

This looks to me to be a M16 Austrian helmet to me.
    But with those pictures hard to say if it has been repainted or if the decal is real?
    Is it DD?
    chris

?

Clandestine helmet spy pics, cool!

As for value its literally impossible to say with 1 spy photo. With no liner a real DD transitional in good shape might be a few hundred bucks, 5-700 maybe more or less? But if he wont let you handle it and take photos walk away, he knows something about it that is funky is my suspicion. These are not that rare that you dont find them on dealer sites often. Unless its cheap cheap cheap Id pass on the old grump.

Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry I couldn't provide better pictures!

It's a single decal... paint seemed to be in great shape. Little if any of the liner was left (like I said, the liner was in pieces in a plastic bag under the helmet as it sat on the shelf). I don't seem to recall it having a chin strap.

did you ask the guy how much he wanted for it?
    chris

Guy sounds shady. Most legit sellers would allow pics if their stuff was real, and if they wanted to make a sale.

He said he just got it into the store and wanted to research it before putting it up for sale.

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    Guy sounds shady. Most legit sellers would allow pics if their stuff was real, and if they wanted to make a sale.
    To be honest, I just think he was not experienced with militaria and wasn't sure how to conduct himself.

?

Strange it was a single decal unless the tricolor was removed. A single decal should have been painted feldgrau and been reissued. Not many SD transitionals around. Keep us posted!

Talking Re: M18(?) Found at antique toy store

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    To be honest, I just think he was not experienced with militaria and wasn't sure how to conduct himself.
    Then he needs to post here

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast