Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M18(?) Found at antique toy store

Article about: By chance, I stopped by an antique toy store the other day. Beyond toy trains and erector sets, they had a few odds and ends, sports memorabilia, etc. Low and behold, they had three helmets.

Default Re: M18(?) Found at antique toy store

The Brodie with the leather liner might actually be a US M1917A1 Kelly Conversion. Worth a look see and an offer if so, they are harder to find than the US M1917 Doughboy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18(?) Found at antique toy store
    P
    Many

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    Then he needs to post here
    lol, well said!

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    The Brodie with the leather liner might actually be a US M1917A1 Kelly Conversion. Worth a look see and an offer if so, they are harder to find than the US M1917 Doughboy.
    It certainly did NOT have a typical ww2 style British liner... the chinstrap was leather (no the cloth type with springs). There was also a pad in the crown of the helet if memory serves me correctly. He said he'd let it go for like $40. Good price?

There is a photo of the M1917A1 leather liner in this link.

M1917A1 - The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives

As for 40 bucks being a good price, I can't imagine ANY model of a Brodie/Doughboy style helmet, that still has its liner in place, being worth any less, at least in my opinion, but I've kind of grown a liking to these lids. Even the Dutch CD Clones of the 1950's sell for that or more.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!

Russ

What I don't understand is why would you put something up on a shelf in a toy store and not have it for sale?

GIZMO, what ever happened to these anyway, did you go back and get the M18 or the Doughboy?

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    GIZMO, what ever happened to these anyway, did you go back and get the M18 or the Doughboy?
    I called him back this past Wednesday, but he said he had not had time to research and price the helmets over the holiday weekend. I'll give him a call back this coming Monday.

?

What I don't understand is why would you put something up on a shelf in a toy store and not have it for sale?
    Found that myself once. Only this was a surplus shop locally. It was full of the usual Bundeswehr and French stuff which is all you get here. No such thing as Irish army surplus. But sitting there were two obvious relic but repainted Adrien helmets, Belgian. Not for sale was the answer when I asked. So why in the shop then? I asked, but the guy didn't know, not his shop. Strange.

Anyway in this case. I would definitely buy the Brodie for $40. I'm afraid you might have tipped him off about the M18. It won't take much for him to research it. But if it's good it might still be a bargain relatively speaking.

?

Im a bit dubious on this, first he wont let you take photos, then its not for sale, until he researches it,so why display among other items that are, then a couple of weeks later its still not been researched, is this guy in business or not, is it still being displayed if so he really should put a not for sale sign on it, unless hes waiting for someone whos not that clued up to ask what it is then try a sales pitch, especially if theres something not quite right with the helmet, like the decal perhaps

Quote by noelh View Post
    Found that myself once. Only this was a surplus shop locally. It was full of the usual Bundeswehr and French stuff which is all you get here. No such thing as Irish army surplus. But sitting there were two obvious relic but repainted Adrien helmets, Belgian. Not for sale was the answer when I asked. So why in the shop then? I asked, but the guy didn't know, not his shop. Strange.

Anyway in this case. I would definitely buy the Brodie for $40. I'm afraid you might have tipped him off about the M18. It won't take much for him to research it. But if it's good it might still be a bargain relatively speaking.
    I'm planning on visiting his shop again soon. Hopefully I can still get a deal. I can't really blame the guy for wanting to make money... that is why he is in business in the first place...

Quote by davejb View Post
    Im a bit dubious on this, first he wont let you take photos, then its not for sale, until he researches it,so why display among other items that are, then a couple of weeks later its still not been researched, is this guy in business or not, is it still being displayed if so he really should put a not for sale sign on it, unless hes waiting for someone whos not that clued up to ask what it is then try a sales pitch, especially if theres something not quite right with the helmet, like the decal perhaps
    I really couldn't say... my fingers are crossed for the next time I visit his shop.

I've seen stuff displayed that was not for sale as well as stuff pending "further investigation" Some stuff is part of the shop decore and certainly, if owner/seller is unfamilliar, it is worth his/her time to investigate....and no need to leave hidden in the back room until doing so, might generate a little attention out on the shelf, as these items did!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast