MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M18 Helmet Restoration Project....

Article about: I've had this M18 for about a year now. When I bought it, it had loads of black postwar paint on it and a couple of fake decals. I stripped it back to what you see here, and pretty much left

Talking M18 Helmet Restoration Project....

I've had this M18 for about a year now. When I bought it, it had loads of black postwar paint on it and a couple of fake decals. I stripped it back to what you see here, and pretty much left it alone after that. She is definitely not my prettiest lid.

M18 Helmet Restoration Project....M18 Helmet Restoration Project....

It looks really sorry for itself, so inspired by recent excellent refurbs done by some forum members, I've had a root around for any spare helmet parts I had to see what could be done.
    I have decided to repaint it as a transitional helmet as I collect TR helmets mostly (also since the only liner component I had available in the right size is the outer band for an M31 liner), possibly with decals yet I am not sure. I might just give it the impression that the decals have been removed by the good soldat as per regs (definitely a cheaper option )

Here it is after the new coat of textured grey paint. It's only textured on the outside. I plan quite a lot of 'ageing' until I will be happy with the look of it. I could get into this project lark, I'm enjoying it so far I'll add a couple more pics as it develops.

Hope you like it gents.

M18 Helmet Restoration Project....M18 Helmet Restoration Project....M18 Helmet Restoration Project....M18 Helmet Restoration Project....
    M18 Helmet Restoration Project....M18 Helmet Restoration Project....M18 Helmet Restoration Project....
    Last edited by KradSpam; 04-02-2012 at 01:02 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 Helmet Restoration Project....
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M18 Helmet Restoration Project....

Quite a difference. Good job. It certainly looks far better.
    I also have a helmet with post-war paint on it. Ill have to strip that eventually.
    Which of the methods did you use for stipping the paint?
    Several stripping methods have been discussed here on the forum - I tried using acetone on a helmet the other day, but it didnt seem to 'bite' at all......

BTW I like the WWII helmets too, but the WWI lids just have a certain 'je ne sais quoi'

Yeah it depends on the paint. I've used everything from white spirit through acetone up to brutal paint stripper jelly. On this one I was careful working with acetone slowly until I realised there was nothing really to save, 90% of the original paint had gone and what was left was damaged and altered. Then just scrubbed it with the heavy stuff to make a better base to paint on.

?

How did you apply it - just a rag/pad doused with acetone and then scrubbing it?

Various really, scouring sponges work OK until you destroy them. Very fine candy floss wire wool, dusters, you name it. Best to do tiny areas, little circles the size of a coin with a finger. It can take aggges without much result.

And after a while in the air and on the pad the acetone loses its 'bite'. Also, don't do it in an enclosed space, as the rag ends up soaked in the stuff and the fumes can seriously mess with your head.

?

With that amount of texture there wouldnt be a decal , there might have been one underneath that could have been dug out, but it looks like a thick camo covering, i would leave the decals off and make it a semi camo

Quote by davejb View Post
    With that amount of texture there wouldnt be a decal , there might have been one underneath that could have been dug out, but it looks like a thick camo covering, i would leave the decals off and make it a semi camo
    I see your point, good call I think. I'll just bash it up a bit, it'll work as one I don't mind people playing with.

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Various really, scouring sponges work OK until you destroy them. Very fine candy floss wire wool, dusters, you name it. Best to do tiny areas, little circles the size of a coin with a finger. It can take aggges without much result.

And after a while in the air and on the pad the acetone loses its 'bite'. Also, don't do it in an enclosed space, as the rag ends up soaked in the stuff and the fumes can seriously mess with your head.
    Thanks. Yes, Ill be sure to be using acetone outside.

?

Outstanding job buddy.