Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M18 or M18 Transitional?

Article about: Dear (Ladies and) Gentlemen, The other day on my way to work, I was wondering which helmet is considered more rare/valuable - the M18 in it's original state or the re-worked M18 'transitiona

Default M18 or M18 Transitional?

Dear (Ladies and) Gentlemen,

The other day on my way to work, I was wondering which helmet is considered more rare/valuable - the M18 in it's original state or the re-worked M18 'transitional'? I know that they are all considered valuable to collectors and perhaps the wrong choice of words but I hope you all understand, the point I am trying to bring across

Therefore, I am hoping that with your professional expertise (and opinions), my question can be answered.

My impression is that the M18 Transitional model is more rare (because few were produced in 1918 and many were destroyed after WWI), yet the original M18 is considered more valuable (if untampered with and it's age taken into consideration).

The photographs below are not mine (simply there to illustrate what I mean to 'bystanders'), they are the property of their respective owners, so please let me know if anyone takes offense to me posting them here, because then I will remove them.
    M18 or M18 Transitional? M18 or M18 Transitional?

- Daniel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 or M18 Transitional?
    P
    Many

Hi Daniel, personally I would say that an un-messed with WW1 M18 with a nice "turtle/tortoise" cammo is more valuable than a decaled HEER transitional, but as with all helmets , there are so many variations that your broad question cannot really be answered. I mean, you could have a nice early double decal SS M18 that will put the "turtle/tortoise" into touch!! Leon.
    Last edited by FALLSCHIRMJAGER; 09-23-2014 at 08:26 PM.

I must agree with Leon.

It also depends on what type of transitional: SS, Heer, Luftwaffe eagle bird, police? If I had to pick between the two you have shown for illustration purposes, I would buy an unmessed with complete original WWI M18. WWII true transitional Heer helmets can be found if you have patience.

Thank you for the input, Gentlemen. I know it is a difficult question to answer and I guess it largely comes down to personal preference (whether Heer, SS or Luftwaffe) which determines how valuable it is. What would you reckon an un-messed with M18 is allowed to cost, if it is in near mint condition?

I have been offered a transitional M18 but it felt too lightweight in my opinion - the seller claims its was a commercial M18 (private purchase) helmet. Quite pricy too, still thinking about whether it is worth the money.

- Daniel

Quote by Danishkaiser View Post
    Thank you for the input, Gentlemen. I know it is a difficult question to answer and I guess it largely comes down to personal preference (whether Heer, SS or Luftwaffe) which determines how valuable it is. What would you reckon an un-messed with M18 is allowed to cost, if it is in near mint condition?

I have been offered a transitional M18 but it felt too lightweight in my opinion - the seller claims its was a commercial M18 (private purchase) helmet. Quite pricy too, still thinking about whether it is worth the money.

- Daniel
    Hi Daniel, without pictures I do not think we can really help out on that question. All I would say is that there are plenty of good M18's out there so buy one that you are sure of rather than something you have questions over and the seller "says" it is this or that. Happy hunting, Leon

Hello Leon.

I cannot help but notice that it may have been misinterpreted. The last part to my reply, as indicated, is not a question. It was merely a response to helmetone's comment, on finding a M18 transitional helmet if one has patience. My question was in fact - how much is an un-messed with original M18 allowed to cost, if it is in near mint condition? Would you say £3-400?

- Daniel

Quote by Danishkaiser View Post
    Hello Leon.

I cannot help but notice that it may have been misinterpreted. The last part to my reply, as indicated, is not a question. It was merely a response to helmetone's comment, on finding a M18 transitional helmet if one has patience. My question was in fact - how much is an un-messed with original M18 allowed to cost, if it is in near mint condition? Would you say £3-400?

- Daniel
    Sorry Daniel, I got the wrong end of the stick there as such. If it is a standard factory issued M18 and not a cammo'd one I would want a really nice one for the £350 mark(great liner complete with it's pads and chinstrap). A nice "tortoise" will cost you £500 upwards here in the UK. Leon.

No worries Leon, may have been my fault for switching between the terms. Thank you for the input - just wanted to hear what I could expect an M18 to cost

I'll see if I can take some photographs of the helmet I was referring to earlier

- Daniel