Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?

Article about: I just acquired this helmet and wanted to get opinions on the decal. I looks ok to me. But my main question is the scratched in lettering on the liner. Is it a name? The lettering looks too

?

Default M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?

I just acquired this helmet and wanted to get opinions on the decal. I looks ok to me. But my main question is the scratched in lettering on the liner. Is it a name? The lettering looks too perfect to be scratched in by hand and wonder if it was applied by some other means and what does it mean. Your comments would be greatly appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?   M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?  

M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?   M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?

Try wetting your finger and running it across the lettering, it should show up better

?

Thanks DaveJB. I rubbed some ashes across it and came up with this. Can you make out the name? Looks like "N?DEGSER".
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?   M18 Transitional.....letters scratched in liner?  

?

I think it is "Nydegger".

yep someone scratched there name into the liner, probably first Initial then full last name. or it could be Nidegser.

4md
    ?

Nice lid Pablo, the decal looks great

?

I pretty sure the name is "Nadegger". I found only one entry in the "German Graves" website. It is Obgfrt. Peter Nadegger, born St. Johann 22.05.1920, died 05.02.1945. BTW, the dark spots on the liner are supposed to be blood that has rotted the liner.