Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original

Article about: Thanks everyone for their contributions, its made it a interesting thread for me. My thinking in offering 300 Euro was bearing in mind, I was unsure about the decal, if it was proved to be a

?

Default M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original

Last night a man brought this M18 Transitional Stahlhelm round to me. I had no option, but to take flash pictures, quality is not so good as I would like, hope they are good enough for members to form a opinion. From what I understand its a M18 stamped BF64 which I take to be is Bellinger Fulda - size 64, chin strap is marked U. Sch..... R..onburg 6. I take, the lining and chin strap to be original, two things bother me, the Decal is smeared and in poor state but is it original ? also is the paint original or has it been repainted ?. He wants 500 Euro, I think that's too much, given that the decal is in such poor shape. Any information welcome.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original   M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original  

M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original   M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original  

M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original   M18 Transitional SD - are Decal & Paintwork Original  

Hi there,most transitional helmets would have been double decals lids with the national shield on the other side also.Your decal does seem to show metalic elements to it but it appears to show very little detail in these pictures which would concern me.The problem i have is that the paintwork appears to be in good condition and yet the decal is well worn down.I think i would need to see some better pictures in natural light without the flash to be sure but as it stands i'm not to keen.

?

Hi Fallschirmjager,
    I did ask what had happened to the decal. The seller says, the helmet had been painted all over black, then later the black paint was removed, the decal had been smeared / distorted in the process, as too much pressure had been applied in removing the black top paint. Looking it over last night, I didn't find a trace of the black paint, makes me wonder if the helmet had been painted over dark grey and later the paint over the decal removed. That's why I asked about the helmet being repainted. He's looking for 500 Euro for it, claims a collector is willing to pay that - I'm sure the collector hasn't seen the decal yet, in this condition I'd say a value of 300 Euro. Perhaps that's too much?

?

Agree that it looks to have been cleaned of a previous paint.
    Hard to see any details to be sure of with those pics though.

Brad.

I don't think I would pay 300-500 euros for that one mate. There are better examples of the type on dealers sites right now for similar money. The decal is too tricky to judge with those pics I think. I'm not sure I believe the black paint bit, there isn't a speck of black left even around the vents and rivets, and the grey doesn't really have the washed out look of a stripped lid to me. Personally I'd avoid it and wait for a better one.

Hi Alec,with the extra information you have given us about the seller saying it has had an overpaint i would be inclined to let him find the "collector" who will give him the 500 euro's as there are to many questions hanging over this one.I would save my money and follow KRADSPAMS advice and buy a better legit one.Good hunting!!

Hi Alec

Something also bothers me about the liner. The color, the wear, or lack of wear, bothers me. I also dont buy the black overpaint theory. I feel the seller is using the "I have a collector willing to pay _____" as a scare tactic that you might lose your chance to buy it. I also had someone do that with an SS helmet he wouldnt let me inspect in hand prior to receiving money. Dont fall for it. When in doubt, pass. More will come.

?

Decal is real enough, I've got issues with the liner as well. I'd pass its not worth it and save your 3-500E for a better one.

Doug do you think that is a gray lined Heer decal, given its a wartime reissue?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast