Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

M1916 helmet used during WW2

Article about: Hello all! I'm posting this for a friend who is not able to access the internet at the moment... He says: I have a WW1 style german helmet that was given to me about ten years ago as a birth

Default M1916 helmet used during WW2

Hello all!

I'm posting this for a friend who is not able to access the internet at the moment...

He says:

I have a WW1 style german helmet that was given to me about ten years ago as a birthday gift. My neighbor knew I collected miltary stuff so I was very excited when I received this gift. The helmet had been sitting behind a refrigerator in his mechanic shop for years until one day he remembered he had it. What I was told about this helmet is that the man who gave it to me recieved it from his neighbor when he was a kid. His neighbor was a WW2 veteran who served in the 82nd airborne division glider infantry and was involved in the Normandy invasion. He retrieved this helmet on the battlefield and brought it home. I thought it was strange that a WW1 style helmet was found on a WW2 battlefield. I've took multiple photos of the helmet. If you could give me any information on this helmet it would be much appreciated. The helmet has no visible markings other than the number 109 stamped in the middle of the helmet. If possible, a value would be appreciated.

Your expertise is much appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1916 helmet used during WW2
    P
    Many

Default Re: M1916 helmet used during WW2

i think you have said pretty much all there is to say,,missing the 3 leather pads for comfort ams suspension... leather band in M-1916's,,steel liner band in the M-1917's....

From the looks of it an M16 helmet made by the Bell L firm.
    But someone cleaned the hell out of it , too bad ... value is low if you can get 100$ for it be happy. But has no real collector value in my opinion.

Looks like somebody went crazy with some sanding paper! Pitty, I bet this was a very nice lid when it was brought back. Not sure it was picked up on the battlefield in Normandy, but it could have been worn by a soldier from a Flak regiment or Volkssturm. Having said that we must not forget there was a lot of ww1 stuff floating about in France in those days, so maybe he just found it in a barn.