Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M1917 Austrian Transitional ?

Article about: Hi, I was just given this by a 93 year old Jewish lady, pulled out of her basement where it unfortunately received some water damage. Anyway, her husband guarded POW's in Germany after the w

?

Default M1917 Austrian Transitional ?

Hi, I was just given this by a 93 year old Jewish lady, pulled out of her basement where it unfortunately received some water damage. Anyway, her husband guarded POW's in Germany after the war and brought this home with him without her knowledge (that is, until Tuesday). She sent it home with me for my boys to play with or wear on Halloween (thought you guys might like that ).

Anyway, after a little research it looks like it's too valuable for my family to keep (I can personally guarantee that if it stays in my house it'll be junk in just a few short weeks). Feedback from the community as to what it is worth and where to sell would be appreciated. I live in the Chicago area.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?   M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?  

M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?   M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?  

M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?   M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?  

M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M1917 Austrian Transitional ?

More pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?   M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?  

M1917 Austrian Transitional  ?  

You can sell it here on the forum , the helmet is a textbook single decal Austrian. Very nice but unfortunately the water damage will reflect heavily on the price.
    I'm thinking value wise 600-750$ max.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

You have been given sound advice.

I think even with the water damage it is a great example. DO NOT be tempted to clean it in any way.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks guys,

Yeah, the water damage is too bad, the helmet had been sitting in that basement, probably in the same box of toys, since the early sixties when the house was built.

On the other hand how often does one receive a 600.00 gift? And the education while researching, wow, no wonder you guys get hooked!

Davit

?

Im not too sure but one member, Cricketchris, lives in Chicago, and hes an avid collector, see if he pipes up to comment or send him a PM

Quote by davit View Post
    Thanks guys,

On the other hand how often does one receive a 600.00 gift? And the education while researching, wow, no wonder you guys get hooked!

Davit
    You are right David , with finds like that you have to take what is offered no doubt about it. Nice to see these popping out of the woodwork.
    I was thinking that it may be a double decal but that the water damaged it entirely.

Still the helmet is complete and untouched , please keep it in as found condition (like Ade previously mentioned).

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    I was thinking that it may be a double decal but that the water damaged it entirely.

Still the helmet is complete and untouched , please keep it in as found condition (like Ade previously mentioned).
    I was wondering the same thing but can't see a shadow of where it would have been, maybe some more experienced eyes could help (I apologize for the size of the attachment, to those who have dial-up):

...and I absolutely will not attempt to clean it, tempting as it is.

Maybe a close-up of the decal area would reveal something.

?

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Maybe a close-up of the decal area would reveal something.
    The last pic is hosted on tinypic, so if you right click, then click on view image, it should open and zoom in.