Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M34 luftschutz helmet good or bad.

Article about: It isn't an M34. What strikes me is that it has a similar construction to the M16/17. I would guess it is a prototype or transitional helmet of some sort. Maybe a prototype of the M34 or (I'

Default Re: M34 luftschutz helmet good or bad.

It isn't an M34. What strikes me is that it has a similar construction to the M16/17. I would guess it is a prototype or transitional helmet of some sort. Maybe a prototype of the M34 or (I'm going to go out on a limb here) ...the M18. I'm leaning more toward transitional at the moment.

Corey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M34 luftschutz helmet good or bad.
    P
    Many

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    It isn't an M34. What strikes me is that it has a similar construction to the M16/17. I would guess it is a prototype or transitional helmet of some sort. Maybe a prototype of the M34 or (I'm going to go out on a limb here) ...the M18. I'm leaning more toward transitional at the moment.

Corey
    Maybe a variant of the M34, as you said, but I'm not seeing the M18 characteristics. An M34 with a different chin strap attachment.

The chinstrap mounts are located on the shell itself, similar to the mounts of a M16/17. I do not see a liner band, but the liner looks like a variation of the m31, possibly earlier? I thought it might be shell built after the M16/17 because of the chinstrap mount construction, a precursor to the M18 or prototype M18 (they changed the mounting system in the M18) but that theory doesn't make sense because the M18 only came out as an upgrade that would fix certain "problems" of the M17, they wouldn't have redesigned the shape and build to such an extent. Not to mention the liner dates to the 30's. So just disregard the m18 theory, I was taking leaps in the dark. I really want to know what kind of helmet this is.

Regards,
    Corey

Quote by cgp1066 View Post
    The chinstrap mounts are located on the shell itself, similar to the mounts of a M16/17. I do not see a liner band, but the liner looks like a variation of the m31, possibly earlier?
    From the pics provided, one cannot see the usual liner band system consisting of pieces of cork. Could be present, just not be visible. As a civilian helmet I suppose anything is possible. Maybe a private purchase helmet that provided a different chin strap bale. Interesting helmet. I'd love to have it! Hope he gets it.

The liner reminds me of the M34 medium duty helmet liners. Usually they are SS-SD helmets.

by the way, has anyone else noticed the two small holes on the left of this helmet? Looks like some kind of insignia device was on there?

If you look where the corks would be, you can see that the liner is tighter to the shell in those areas. Something is holding it there, but I don't know what?

?

To me this looks like a variation of the droop bill or duck bill M34s , why there are additional holes in the shell i doubt we'll ever know, but every thing looks ok to me, there may have been another " metal emblem" there at one time, ie a tilted shield or brass swastika and later converted to Luftschutz

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    The liner reminds me of the M34 medium duty helmet liners. Usually they are SS-SD helmets.

by the way, has anyone else noticed the two small holes on the left of this helmet? Looks like some kind of insignia device was on there?
    Yes I did notice the two small holes that was another problem I had with it.
    chris

Is use the extra holes and damaged strap o beat the price down a little, depending on what they are asking for it now.

Maybe the holes can hint toward the original use of this interesting lid. Go get it Chris. If you don't, point me in his direction, I am intrigued!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast