MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M35/40 Heer

Article about: The lid is a repainted M35, or a "re-issued" lid. Mnay M35's can be seen in this configuration as per 1940 orders that changed the look of the helmets. Single decals, rough paint.

?

Dave that is a 1000% period Braunschewig liner. I have owned many. The entire helmet was reissued and almost never worn after, hence no stretch marks to the leather, or wear to the paint. I also disagree that the chinstrap would cause the string to snap or break with use, I have seen wire attached to the same place on the chinstrap bales and it won't interfere or barely touch the strap. Not saying the string is period applied, that requires a hands on and a leap of faith.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35/40 Heer
    P
    Many

?

Hi Doug, well I accept your knowledge on the liner and as you say, there's no certainty on the string being original but I was'nt referring to interference with the strap per se, I was thinking more of when the strap was pulled down over the chin, the bales would be pulled tight inwards which would cause fraying to the string and resulting in breakage over time, but that really depends on how often the helmet was worn afterwards I suppose, what do you think about the band, a replacement??

?

Hi, and thanks for all details and information. I'm dealing with the seller right now and he has more interested buyers. My current offer was a tad more than 200 GBP which would be an absolutely good deal even if the string wasn't original. I'm maybe going to pay more since it is between me and another person giving him the best offers, but i'm prepared to rise a little.

Regards Al

Go for it Al if you can get it cheap enough, I just would not add the "price" of the string into the deal!!! I would not go above £280 personally , but that's only because that poor decal is flaking so badly. Leon.

Pics are a bit small and oddly taken to make a very decent assessment but so far I like all I see (the string I will leave out of the equation).
    Make sure the seller really owns the helmet but I would go over 280 GBP easily for it (again if all is in order which I would Judge by asking bigger and more complete photos).

?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Hi Doug, well I accept your knowledge on the liner and as you say, there's no certainty on the string being original but I was'nt referring to interference with the strap per se, I was thinking more of when the strap was pulled down over the chin, the bales would be pulled tight inwards which would cause fraying to the string and resulting in breakage over time, but that really depends on how often the helmet was worn afterwards I suppose, what do you think about the band, a replacement??
    Ok I see what you mean, good point. The liner band could be original which is why I wanted to know if the date and mfr of the band can be read. It should read 1935 or 6 Braunschewig. But the entire helmet appears to age match, very lightly worn.

Paint looks post war. Someone may have stuck an original decal on and that's why it's flaking. String is too new.

Quote by Michael L View Post
    Paint looks post war. Someone may have stuck an original decal on and that's why it's flaking.
    Huh?

That's a very good shade of feldgrau rough re-issue paint. Nothing about the color strikes me, or anyone else here it seems, as postwar. Can you explain your reasoning, please?

That is a original M-35 repaint nothing about liner is Norweign as Doug said this is so misidentified it is crazy. I posted a good original German liner here while back and darn if somebody didn't Say Norwege. It was purchaed 20 years before the Norweign surplus came out. In reference to string and wire as already stated this is a minefield. timothy

Quote by helmetone View Post
    Huh?

That's a very good shade of feldgrau rough re-issue paint. Nothing about the color strikes me, or anyone else here it seems, as postwar. Can you explain your reasoning, precently
    Sure. The pics aren't the best to judge by, but despite the blur I see what appears to me to be a repainted lid. There's bare metal on the vent rivets and right pin that has little or no rust, like the paint was recently knocked off. The rust on the crown looks new. The wear on the inside edge doesn't look natural, and there's flaking paint and nasty looking rust at the back of the liner band, although the liner is in decent shape. The paint color could be faded feldgrau or it could be something close that's been treated. Again, hard to tell by those pics. I guess I should have just said, "I'd pass."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast