Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M35 Beaded Helmet - Triple Decal - Volkssturm Used?

Article about: by DougB Whats your thoughts Jim on the front decal. Very cool helmet and a great addition to your eclectic helmet collection, one of the best collections Jim! Thanks Doug, I know of no offi

Default Re: M35 Beaded Helmet - Triple Decal - Volkssturm Used?

Quote by DougB View Post
    Whats your thoughts Jim on the front decal. Very cool helmet and a great addition to your eclectic helmet collection, one of the best collections Jim!
    Thanks Doug, I know of no official explanation for the application of Heer decals on the front and right sides of helmets, or for their application on beaded helmets at all, but I am very confident that the decals were period applied. Given that they are Heer adlers, that the helmet was repainted green, for combat use I suspect, the existence of many late War pictures of rag tag Volkssturm units whose members are shown wearing a variety of traditionally non combat styles of head gear due to supply shortages of combat lids, I think the best explanation is in fact that it was issued to the Volkssturm. Un-applied Heer decals were abundantly available, so I like to think the poor bastard waiting in the trench for the approaching T34's took some of his remaining time on earth decaling the helmet. Before I posted this one I had noticed the scratches on the decals, but hadn't paid attention to the fact that the scratches centered on the swastikas primarily, in I guess an attempt to de-nazify the piece. This further confirms in my mind that the decals were period applied. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Glad all of you like this one. Now, for a real gem, go to the DR SS Doug just posted, it is just superb! Jim G.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Beaded Helmet - Triple Decal - Volkssturm Used?
    P
    Many

?

I fully agree with you there Jim I took the time to look at that helmet and the post last night and it is one of the nicest lids I have ever seen .

Regards Mark K

?

Jim your explanation makes perfect sense. I have handled a M42 SS helmet that had a decal on the front but was removed, and was there for a long time. There was a clear patination difference where the shield was and it was the exact shape of a Heer or SS decal. If it wasn't applied wartime it was there for a long time to create that patina difference. I suspect a collector later removed it as it would have been so unconventional.

I wonder if for some reason a decal applied on the front was for some rapid identification purposes, much like a double runic was suspected of being. The German's typically didn't do things like this on a whim, everything had a plan and purpose. Perhaps it was a late war way to identify an ammunition runner, signals tech or something along those lines. All we can do is speculate but a period photo or two would be nice. I wonder if Ron R has a period photo like this maybe.

I am certain your decals were period applied and later denazified. The ad hoc camo pattern indicates a fast application of camo and more than likely for Volksturm or someone in a supporting combat role. Whatever the case, I am sure the wearer was not a hardened front line combat veteran, but more likely a young teen or elderly veteran of the World War. I love it Jim, great helmet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2