Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 DD Luftwaffe

Article about: Posting a few pics of an M35 DD Luftwaffe helmet I picked up at an auction a few months ago. Came from an estate auction for a vet. Supposedly he took it off of a Flak Gunner in Cherbourg, F

Default M35 DD Luftwaffe

Posting a few pics of an M35 DD Luftwaffe helmet I picked up at an auction a few months ago. Came from an estate auction for a vet. Supposedly he took it off of a Flak Gunner in Cherbourg, France. Soliciting opinions on authenticity and value. It's an ET66, Lot # 3652. Chinstrap looks like a WUPPERTAL E. dated 1937, and is also stamped marked LBA. Reinforced liner bands dated 1938, square chinstrap bales. The decals appear to have been painted over in a rough textured paint and some of the decals have been lost and what remains shows in relief from under the textured paint. Looks to be a first pattern Luftwaffe eagle. Several small areas of textured paint remain on the exterior. Interior retains smooth paint. Couldn't find an acceptance stamp but the dome has a layer of dirt and soot. Split pins are loose but don't appear to have been removed or replaced. The liner has a handwritten name "Rich Hammend" Don't know who he is or his relation to the helmet. What are ya'll thoughts? Value? Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M35 DD Luftwaffe   M35 DD Luftwaffe  

M35 DD Luftwaffe   M35 DD Luftwaffe  

M35 DD Luftwaffe  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 DD Luftwaffe
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M35 DD Luftwaffe

Very nice! Gotta love those Luft lids!
    ~Dean

Nice lid.......................!
    Regards,

Steve.

Looks like a textbook double decal Luftwaffe M35 to me. I don't think the decals have been liberated. I think it's just natural wear.

I would expect to see a helmet like this sell for perhaps $900-$1,100, perhaps more if you can prove the vet provenance. Then again I don't recall seeing a DD LW M35 for sale for some time, not that they are rare, but just because I ten to only look for helmets that I can afford.

Nice looking lid. If I was buying I would be thinking $800 for this baby.

?

Nice honest helmet.

Thanks for the kind remarks on my purchase. The hammer price at the auction was $525, plus the buyer's premium (which isn't cool) made it about $614 total. I suppose not a bad price for this type of helmet.

ObKrieger: I agree with you, I think the rough textured paint was applied in the field and wore off over time, never being repaired by the soldier. I see no evidence of scraping or forced removal of the paint as I have seen on other helmets. Factory mint condition helmets are great, but, in my opinion, they just can't touch a true battle worn helmet!

I think that is a very good price, I recently got a M35 DD LW made a little later than yours for $750. The decals are a little more intact but yours has very nice character (and also a chinstrap).

Alec

It's got a nice first pattern eagle, too, which is a nice touch. I would love to have it in my collection!
    Last edited by ObKrieger; 09-28-2011 at 12:22 AM. Reason: heheh, accidently left out the space between "is" and "a" so it became "Infanterie Sturmabzeichen".

?

Good price. You got it almost at wholesale. You could make $300 if you flipped it at full value...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast