Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M35 Ex DD Snake Leg Luft with some unusual features

Article about: by DougB I actually as part of a grouping from a 101st Airborne ex FSSF veteran whose V42 knife and other items I have is a pair of old wooden shoes he brought back from Holland! I believe y

?

Default M35 Ex DD Snake Leg Luft with some unusual features

M35 Ex double decal snake leg Luftwaffe helmet with some unusual features. It definitely has that veteran look.

I post here what I consider to be an honest assessment and pictorial representation of how the helmet looks in hand. I have attempted to show detail of paint layers and textures, so the thread is a likely a little picture heavy. I will post some commentary and perhaps a couple of questions at the end of the thread.

The helmet came with a pair of US M44 goggles on it. Curiously, there is a wear pattern that matches up to the goggles strap.

Maker, size, and lot number are unreadable through the layer of paint.

There are three layers and colors of paint that are peaking out virtually everywhere through damage, worn, or flaked areas.

The bottom layer is what appears to be factory applied apple green with evidence of paint to shell adhesion issues. The paint has cracked and flaked in places exposing the bare metal of the shell that exhibit various stages of oxidation. The apple green is evident on the bare metal where the painted has flaked off. The paint flaking is still somewhat active.
    On top of the apple green is a Luftwaffe blue/gray that has a matte finish, the interior up into the crown is the same matte blue/gray with hints of apple green beneath.

Top layer is a brushed on over paint on the exterior. The decals were either painted around or wiped off after painting.

The snake leg decal shows evidence of being painted around and has a good amount of crazing.

The tricolor decal has been removed and the multiple paint layers are clearly evident in this area.

It has an early embossed liner marked size 57 and a Schuberth-Werk A.G. 1936 non-reinforced liner band marked size 64. There is a blob of paint on the interior left side of the leather liner that corresponds with the vent hole and there is a “B” ink stamp as well.

The front left and rear pin exhibit ….what quite possibly appears to be SA-Standarte Feldherrnhalle brown. On the inside, the right front pin is missing its washer, the other two pins are complete and are flat and tight. The complete pins exhibit the brown paint. All three pins show a substantial amount of oxidation and corrosion build up.

The helmet is twice named. Scratched into the skirt is “Grubhofer K” and painted on the skirt is “Gefr Grubhof.”

So….questions and comments.......

I have seen evidence elsewhere of apple green pins being repainted for use on early Luftwaffe snake leg helmets. It seems this one was a complete Luftwaffe over paint of an apple green helmet. Could it be an early repurposed Heer that was repainted for the Luftwaffe? Do we know that this occurred? At what level, factory or depot? What about the brown pins, repurposed SA-Standarte Feldherrnhalle? Did early M35 helmets experience paint adhesion issues.

There does appear to be some “green” around the edges of the decal which puzzled me at first. I now believe that it is actually the decal edge or perhaps lacquer. This helmet has convinced me I need to acquire an ADM for analysis purposes.

If anyone can come up with any information pertaining to K. Grubhofer it would be most appreciated. I’ve not tried to research him yet.

As always all comments and opinions are most welcome.
    Regards,
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Ex DD Snake Leg Luft with some unusual features
    P
    Many

Hi John , this one really does ask some questions but I too believe it is a good period original. It is great to see such a nice early M35 with it's original early stamped liner. I think if I recall correctly DougB has had some of these early stamped liners in his helmets so he could give you more information on that. As for the paint , the top/crown, just looks like the result of heavy use but the rear paint loss looks like it has been "struck" with something as the paint that remains shows fracturing , as does the mark near the base of the decal. I think that the paint has come away from the helmet simply because it has been so thickly applied, making it an unstable surface.The liner pins often lose their paint as the early type pins are made of brass which does not take the paint very well. The decal looks a good one to me and in nice order. I see no problem in this being an apple green re-issued to the Luftwaffe, nice find, Leon.

Would you be looking to purchase this from a certain John Bolton?

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Would you be looking to purchase this from a certain John Bolton?
    Not sure what you mean by that Glenn? Who is John Bolton? Perhaps you mean Ken Bolton, the only John Bolton I know of is the former US ambassador to the UN.

At any rate, I own this helmet and there was no Bolton involved in its acquisition.
    Regards,
    John

I really, really like this helmet. And to have a first pattern bird decal is great.

Very interesting helmet.
    I like it.
    chris

?

Nice patina on that thing.

?

John Bolton traded his USMC helmet for this from the German Ambassador at the last UN session. I heard the Canadian Ambassador traded some old mukluks with the Dutch Ambassador for some old wooden shoes at their last collecting fest, and much fun was had.

?

Quote by DougB View Post
    John Bolton traded his USMC helmet for this from the German Ambassador at the last UN session. I heard the Canadian Ambassador traded some old mukluks with the Dutch Ambassador for some old wooden shoes at their last collecting fest, and much fun was had.
    I just can't keep up DB, this stuff just moves around so quickly. That must have been one hell of a sweet pair of wooden shoes to enable a straight up trade for a full blown pair of indigenous Canadian mukluks.
    Regards,
    John

?

Quote by relicz View Post
    I just can't keep up DB, this stuff just moves around so quickly. That must have been one hell of a sweet pair of wooden shoes to enable a straight up trade for a full blown pair of indigenous Canadian mukluks.
    I actually as part of a grouping from a 101st Airborne ex FSSF veteran whose V42 knife and other items I have is a pair of old wooden shoes he brought back from Holland!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast