Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M35 Heer Camo ET 64

Article about: Nice to see you still have it Erich. I believe you got that from me, some years back

Default Re: M35 Heer Camo ET 64

Nice to see you still have it Erich. I believe you got that from me, some years back

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Heer Camo ET 64
    P
    Many

?

Hey John, I thought your name was familiar! Yes, I got it from you and it was my first time buying something from across the pond - I thought it was a killer lid and when I received it I was proven correct. Wouldn't it be cool if XRF actually could detect an SS decal?!

Erich......................That would be the cherry on the cake. I still say that if you look very carefully, there is a shadow of something, but maybe that's wishful thinking !
    but i do know it was a killer lid. I'm so glad you still have it, so many get traded off, and lost ...................I'm still in the business So i'll always buy it back, or trade it

?

Erich,
    It will be open to data interpretation with XRF, meaning the scan will be giving the combined values of the camo paint, decals, any paint under the decals, (if the helmet was reissued there could even be 1 or more additional layers of paint) and the shell itself. So there is some interpretation needed when seeing the scan results. I would place my money on 400x digital magnification.

Do you recall the 2 Coin Shop camo helmets from WAF about a month ago? The first 1 was a camo and was being called a fake. I was away on vacation but John B correctly identified it as an early former Allgemeine SS and part of the runic decal was visibile. The helmet was sold for an astronomical sum to David May of XRFacts. Now XRF was not needed to identify this as using knowledge, skill, experience and what we can see, it was obvious it was an SS as John correctly identified.

Well the guy who sold Steve at the coin shop the helmet said the vet brought 2 of these helmets back. The other was posted by Steve a couple days later and was an exact match other than being an early former Allgemeine SS only this one had an SS rank, name and unit markings in the liner as well I bought that helmet and using 400x digital magnification I was able to determine the helmet was a former Double Runic SS helmet. See the photos below.

So I would go out and buy a $150 Celestron digital microscope and post some photos of the decal area as you can probably tell what kind of decal it is through small cracks and surface abrasions of the paint this way.

Attachment 148976Attachment 148977Attachment 148978Attachment 148979Attachment 148980Attachment 148981Attachment 148982

Doug, you give me credit, where i don't think it is due, after all it was you that has "trained me" I was just merely using the knowledge I had gained from yourself, to be the first one to pull the trigger. The hobby is a hard one, as that SS I sold to Dave had been "backed" twice before, as people had said it was a fake one, but i knew that one was right, i absolutely believed it, and was proved right. That one, as you remember had the guys name and Regt in the liner. I managed to get it for a fair price, and sold it for a modest profit (and believe me it was modest)
    I remember this helmet very well, as a certain "Mr SS had deemed this one as a fake also, but in hand you couldn't fault it.And his reason for disliking it?...........He had never seen that pattern before.!!!DOH.

There are a lot of dealers panicking over this technology. I am pleased to say i am not one of them

If we can fool the fakers, and buy and sell original helmets, who will loose out? Not the collector!

dmc
    ?

Doug, you have no idea what was paid for this helmet, I don't appreciate you acting like you know

also your helmet is not a double runic. an SS camo , yes,

David

ATTACH=CONFIG]148976[/ATTACH]Attachment 148977Attachment 148978Attachment 148979Attachment 148980Attachment 148981Attachment 148982[/QUOTE]

?

Dave I have a pretty good idea what was paid for the helmet and within the context of this forum which deals mainly in war relics, the prices of these helmets are astronomical. It was not derogatory Dave and in fact a compliment as to what these are worth among collectors. You can take it any way you want to.

You are correct, the helmet is not a true double runic. There is little decal left on the helmet as to reasonably call this a double runic now. However there are decal remnants there that are not a party or Heer decal. So using reason, deduction, experience and comparison, the conclusion I come to is there at one time was a runic decal on this side of the helmet.

My evidence has been posted out there on 3 public forums and shared with a magnification user group, if you don't agree with it thats fine by me as I have bigger things to worry about and the helmet is not and will never be for sale as a double runic as there is nothing but pitiful remnants of a decal there. For all intensive purposes this helmet is now a camo single decal named and unit marked SS helmet.

And in the end it is only my opinion which you do not have to share and I am fine with it.

dmc
    ?

Doug,

I agree and fair enough because history and accuracy is so important

and I will say that I have had the pleasure of seeing truly one of the greatest SS helmet collections in the world , that is Doug Buhler 's

Regards Douglas

David

?

Thanks David and my apologies if I offended you over the price comment of the helmet that was not my intent. It would be great if you could see this in hand one day to see what you think
    Cheers
    Doug

dmc
    ?

Doug, there is a SS Totenkopf connection with both these helmets, no doubt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast