Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

M35 Heer helmet ( camo ) opinion needed

Article about: Hello mates. I will need your help again This is my new purchase,M35 heer camo helmet .It's ET64 ,lot number 4493 and seems like a SD. Dome stamp barely visible . On the front of the skirt t

Ves
    ?

Quote by davejb View Post
    Well i would wipe off the mould with a damp cloth, then wipe and dry with a dry cloth, and i usually apply a good leather balsam, i use Sheratons leather cleaner and preservative, its non sticky, does,nt hurt the leather but helps to keep it pliable and protects it from recurring mould and rot, plus it does,nt alter the original colour
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate the helpful info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Heer helmet ( camo ) opinion needed
    P
    Many

?

I don't think its ugly at all! PM me if you ever want to trade/sell it!

I would try to wipe the mold off but hold with further treating it , it is an untouched helmet now and treating it will affect value and desireability.
    In a normal environment the mold will not progress.

No-one thinks some of the 'wear' looks like tooling marks? Above the front brim IMO it looks like several chisel marks...

Ves
    ?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    No-one thinks some of the 'wear' looks like tooling marks? Above the front brim IMO it looks like several chisel marks...
    Thanks for the comment Glenn66. What do you mean by that?

Hi Ves, often fakers use metal tools (chisels sometimes) to artificially 'age' a helmet. Your example is very worn (some members say ugly but I disagree), honest wear usually is gradual and takes the form of small chips sometimes and a thinning and removal of the paint most of the time. Imagine a helmet swinging off a hip when on the march or placed in a transport with packs and equipment thrown on top. Over time the combination of small paint damage builds up to an overall 'wear' to the helmet, something that is very hard to replicate artificially. Fakers may kick a freshly painted lid around on stoney ground, hit the lid into a pile of rocks, attack it with a bicycle chain, take to it with a screwdriver (or chisel), the techniques are no doubt endless.

All I'm saying is those marks above the brim look suspiciously like a repetitive scraping with a wide bladed tool. Overall I like the helmet, just that area has my concern is all.

Hi, I can see what Glenn Is concerned about on the brim, but in this case I think the helmet is ok and that those marks are just "similar" for whatever reason. Looking closely at the cammo, I cannot see any paint in already created recesses (and this lid has many)! It looks to have had a tan/green and red brick overspray, with the addition of a hand brushed brown, a similar shade to that on SA helmets. Personally I give it the thumbs up. Leon.

Ves
    ?

Hi Ves, often fakers use metal tools (chisels sometimes) to artificially 'age' a helmet. Your example is very worn (some members say ugly but I disagree), honest wear usually is gradual and takes the form of small chips sometimes and a thinning and removal of the paint most of the time. Imagine a helmet swinging off a hip when on the march or placed in a transport with packs and equipment thrown on top. Over time the combination of small paint damage builds up to an overall 'wear' to the helmet, something that is very hard to replicate artificially. Fakers may kick a freshly painted lid around on stoney ground, hit the lid into a pile of rocks, attack it with a bicycle chain, take to it with a screwdriver (or chisel), the techniques are no doubt endless.

All I'm saying is those marks above the brim look suspiciously like a repetitive scraping with a wide bladed tool. Overall I like the helmet, just that area has my concern is all.
    Thanks again for the complete and helpful info Glenn 66. The paint smells very old,just the same as my other helmets. Actually this one is a gift from friend of mine, it is not like someone was trying to screw me. I respect your opinion, I have in mind that is 70 years old helmet,it is possible somebody in the past to messed with,probably a kid .
    It's not because is mine,but I think is all original

Quote by Ves View Post
    The paint smells very old
    Sorry to be banging on about your helmet (I'm not trying to bring it down) but are you sure it is the paint you smell? Old paint should not smell at all. Could it be you are smelling instead that wonderful aroma of old metal and leather?

That aroma is the reason I occasionally (when the wife isn't looking) put my nose to one of my lids and sniff, ever so perversely, its 'scent'.

Ves
    ?

Sorry to be banging on about your helmet (I'm not trying to bring it down) but are you sure it is the paint you smell? Old paint should not smell at all. Could it be you are smelling instead that wonderful aroma of old metal and leather?

That aroma is the reason I occasionally (when the wife isn't looking) put my nose to one of my lids and sniff, ever so perversely, its 'scent'.

haha.Sorry,I expressed myself wrong .I meant old smell of the whole helmet,not the paint ,exactly the one you are mentioning. I love it too Very nice collection you got there Glenn 66 , It's beautiful

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast